The M-65 Jacket, and Ethics

timg5907

I just bought a Vietnam era M-65 which still has the badges and name tag on it.  It's in good condition.  I would like to get some feedback on whether it's okay to wear an M-65 with someone else's name tag.  Veterans I have spoken with have different viewpoints.   Two told me they were honored to think of their old jacket with original name tags being worn and seen "out there."   One told me he considered it "unearned valor" by the wearer.  

Is there any established ethic out there which forbids or authorizes a non-vet wearing an M-65 with name patch?  I could have the name tag removed, but honestly, I'd rather honor that person be keeping it on.

T

I would keep it on there and wear it proudly.

I've sold off a few of my old Army fatigues still with my sewn on name tag and unit patch. Doesn't bother me a bit if someone were to run around wearing them.

I figure if somebody gets their nose out of joint about it, that's their problem.

Kim

Let it see the light of day again.  You do indeed do honor to the man that wore it, 

Here's a good talk on the subject, see my experiences on Post #27.

Nothing wrong with that.

If you removed the name tape, and put one with your

own name on there and some rank and a CIB badge, then that would

be considered stolen valor In MHO.

Unless of course you actually had earned he rank and the CIB....

Besides... Its a Vietnam era jacket.

You devalue the uniform if you remove the original name tape. You would be taking away the tie to the original owner.  I would suggest leaving it on there, especially if you had any thought of selling it in the future.

If you wear it and somebody questions you on it, just tell them you thought it was a cool jacket, but no, you are not claiming that it was yours. 

I would never wear something with anyone else's name, rank, or awards. Or even the Army tape. It's not "stolen valor," it's just tacky. Collect it and display it but wearing it does imply it's yours or maybe a parent.

You don't honor the person who's name is on it just by wearing it. I'd think you were a little silly if I ever say you wearing something with my name on it. I'd be bemused not honored.