Easy Company Soldier - Don Malarkey

mrhell

I'm not a big reader, however I recently finished this book: Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers", by Don Malarkey and Bob Welch

info on amazons site

IMO, this is an excellent read and the way it's written I felt as if I were sitting at a table with Mr. Malarkey as he told his stories. I'm glad such history was captured before it was too late.

I agree. I loved it and recommend it highly.

I have all of the BoB books (that I know of) and so far all are good. I'm currently reading the book by Babe Heffron and Wild Bill. It's pretty good and entertaining too. It's written using a lot of the Philly slang, so it's "colorful".

I have Buck Compton's book but haven't started it yet.

I agree. I loved it and recommend it highly.

I have all of the BoB books (that I know of) and so far all are good. I'm currently reading the book by Babe Heffron and Wild Bill. It's pretty good and entertaining too. It's written using a lot of the Philly slang, so it's "colorful".

I have Buck Compton's book but haven't started it yet.

Jim, I finished the book you mentioned: Brothers In Battle, Best Of Friends with Babe and Wild Bill last month. It was excellent! I am now reading Beyond Band Of Brothers about Major Dick Winters. However, I haven't seen this one yet by Don Malarkey and Bob Welch. I'll have to pick it up.

Yes, there is also 'Parachute Infantry' by David Kenyon Webster :) All fantastic reads, i'm a big fan also. How is beyond band of brothers with DW? That's the only one i havnt got so far.

Yes, actually might have even been near the 60s. Webster passed away in1961, but right after the war, he wrote all his memoirs down while they were still fresh in his memory, and tried and tried, without success, to get them published. He may have even been able to get them published, but not with a widespread, mainstream type of publisher, i can't actually recall. It wasn't until after he went missing at sea, that his remaining family were finally able to get them published properly, which is the current issue we can still buy today.

Excellent. Thanks for the follow up!! Much appreciated.

I have read all seven books. It is interesting to speculate on what would have happened to Easy Company of the 506th if Stephen Ambrose hadn't written his original BAND OF BROTHERS.

Retired

I often think the same thing, what if it had been some other company, or never written at all. Strange to think. Just the way things go i suppose, whatever happened, happened

My Dad was a WWII vet, and in fact enlisted prior to Dec 7, 1941. I remember so many of the men that were our neighbors were all WWII vets, it just wasn't anything unusual. They were part of the times and are now unique due to their passing into history and to the moral and patriotic decline of our country. Those of us that still care find them fascinating and feel a loss at their passing. I really think they were the greatest generation not only for saving the world, but for their innocence too.

When I read about Dick Winters and his men, I keep in mind that they are representative of SO MANY MORE men just like them. So many heroes lost to history. There were a great many men that spent more days in combat, suffered deprivations such as cold and hunger, and died in the mud of foreign countries far from home. The men of Easy Company are fine representatives and I would think they are honored for it.

As I get older, I have to remember some of you guys are like my Dad. I remember him telling me about talking to old Civil War vets as a child and that it was special. Soon that is the way it will be for us. They will be gone and these books are all future generations will have.

>I remember him telling me about talking to old Civil War vets as a child

When my father was a child in Hopewell, NJ, he shook the hand of a Civil War Veteran who had himself shaken the hand of a Revolutionary War veteran.

I too remember that when we were kids, everyone's dad had been in the service during WWII and a lot of the moms worked in wartime production. It wasn't even something worth mentioning. When we played "army" it was "We'll be the Americans and you be the Germans." Nobody wanted to be the Germans.

• 1 year later...

Finally had some down time during vacation and got to read "Easy Company Soldier". Really enjoyed it ... just as much (if not more) than "Band of Brothers".

Tim

PETER HENDRIKX

The other books about Company E, 506 are;

Parachute Infantry by David K. Webster

We who are alive and remain. Untold stories from the band of brothers by Marcus Brotherton

A Company of Heroes by Marcus Brotherton

In the footsteps of Band of Brothers by Larry Alexander

From Toccoa to the Eagle's Nest by Dalton Einhorn

Easy Company. 506th Parachute Infantry regiment in photographs by Genesis Publications Limited (www.genesis-publications.com)

The way we were. Cpl. Forrest Guth by Michel DeTrez (www.d-day-publishing.be)

All of the above books can be ordered from Amazon or any other bookseller, except the collectible book by Genesis. Another outstanding book about the 101st Airborne Division is "Avenging Eagles. Forbidden tales of the 101st Airborne Division in World War 2" by Mark Bando. (www.101airborneww2.com) Highly recommended, like all other books by Mark Bando.

Peter Hendrikx

www.heroesatmargraten.com