Off duty dress?

phil.co1

Picked this up recently but have a few questions. Has had buttons changed so probably a civilian conversion?  Also it has no epaulettes or belt loops. No obvious signs that it ever had them.

20211007_192320.jpg

20211007_191938.jpg

20211007_191930.jpg

Hi
This is a WAC winter off duty dress,

As usual, the belt is missing and epaulettes are removed for civilian conversion

So, we know that there were clothing shortages after the war. I read that the military published a pamphlet explaining how to convert uniforms to civilian wear, until the owner could find new clothing. I imagine the frustration of everyone walking around in 1946, basically still wearing their uniforms, and still being pretty much dressed like many others. But, at least they still had that in common. Sitting at the bus stop with a stranger would be easier to strike up a conversation. I guess it may have been a bit different for male Sailors, but still. 

• 8 months later...

Can anyone guide me in the right direction with material to make a belt for this dress? Ideally if somebody has a destroyed one I could use as a donor [long shot].

Any help appreciated,

Phil

On 7/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, phil.co1 said:

Can anyone guide me in the right direction with material to make a belt for this dress? Ideally if somebody has a destroyed one I could use as a donor [long shot].

Any help appreciated,

Phil

Here's the best images I could find of this, a bit tricky, because of the extra special belt buckle, which isn't like the square brass or OD bakelight type as seen on some men's stuff, like Mackinaws, jump jackets etc etc, the buttons, they're easy to replace, lots of WWII WAC Buttons for sale.

Question, is the shoulder loops on your cut off?.

waaa.jpgwaaaa.jpg.d95b7c672ab5e8b72cbad4a73997c39a.jpg

waac.PNGwac.PNG.ed3c1f3873857c80a9e8152142acd5ab.PNG

Thanks for the pictures. Yes shoulder epaulettes have been removed. see what you mean about belt buckle, going to be difficult to find something similar.

7 hours ago, phil.co1 said:

Is the buckle covered in the same material or just the same color?

That's what it looks like.

On 10/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, sigsaye said:

So, we know that there were clothing shortages after the war. I read that the military published a pamphlet explaining how to convert uniforms to civilian wear, until the owner could find new clothing. I imagine the frustration of everyone walking around in 1946, basically still wearing their uniforms, and still being pretty much dressed like many others. But, at least they still had that in common. Sitting at the bus stop with a stranger would be easier to strike up a conversation. I guess it may have been a bit different for male Sailors, but still. 

If you look at photos of ex-GI college students going back to school on the GI Bill from 1946 to post Korean War, you will see a lot of khaki trousers being worn.  I think it started a trend that continues to this day.

And another... note the gentleman in the center with the flight jacket.  In the middle row is another who appears to be wearing Khakis.  Both of them look a little war weary compared to the youngsters in the crowd. 

https://www.startribune.com/gi-bill-helped-transform-the-lives-of-minnesota-veterans/282190281/

image.png.3c3b09648cb430bd85c26506cd5b4eb9.png

Oh. My uncles came home from the Pacific. They wore fatigues, khakis, their boon dockets and caps, for years working the farm. 

Interesting pics, I think a lot of previous generations took advantage of the surplus gear. M51 parkas are still very desirable over here in the UK.  Still be good to see a close up of that belt buckle if anyone has one.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, phil.co1 said:

Is the buckle covered in the same material or just the same color?

The buckled is fabric-covered, and that is easy to do.  The fabric is twill, likely cotton or a cotton-wool blend.  How deep is the skirt hem, and how deep is the fabric in the fold?  That can be a fantastic place to scavenge some excess fabric for a new belt that wouldn’t be noticeable.  A skilled seamstress or tailor can remove some there and replace it with another fabric (commonly done) so that the appearance from the outside wouldn’t change.

Thanks for that, Have got another two off duty dresses without belts. will have to see what hem surplus is on them.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:33 AM, phil.co1 said:

Thanks for that, Have got another two off duty dresses without belts. will have to see what hem surplus is on them.

I’m in Canada right now for a couple air shows, so am a bit slow to respond.  If you can check on that, I’ll gladly help however I can.  The people on this forum have been so kind that I’d love to do what I can for others here as well.