Special Forces Delta Project Nung Beret EBW

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

Al Drapeau passed away in 2009 and his widow sold most of his militaria and I was able to acquire it. I in turn sold his group around 2017 when I moved out my beret collection.  More recently his widow found this rare Nung EBW beret and I was pleased to pick it up! Thanks for letting me share it!
Delta Project veteran, Alfred Drapaeu. Delta worked with an attached company of Nungs represented by the EBW. The E pul Bar Wang Nungs served as an elite indigenous quick reaction force. The EBW force numbered only 200 men and were led by a US Special Forces Team.
Sgt. Drapeau's service is well documented in the book The Ether Zone about Delta Force Vietnam and online.
From his obituary
Alfred William 'Slugger' Drapeau, 65, of Ellis River Road, Rumford, Maine passed away Monday, Jan. 12, 2009. Born in Rumford on Nov. 5, 1943. Drapeau served in the U.S. Army's Elite Special Forces in the Vietnam War with Delta Project, and eventually served 24 years with the Special Forces. He received four Bronze Stars for Valor, two Meritorious Service Medals, an Air Medal, three Army Commendation Medals, two Purple Hearts, a Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Commendation, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Valorous Unit Award, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal (10 Campaigns), Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, Combat Infantry Badge, Vietnamese Parachutist Badge, Senior Army Parachute Wings, Civic Action Honor Medal (1st Class), Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm (two awards), Good Conduct Medal (six awards), and a Vietnam Campaign Medal.

Drapeau1.jpg

Drapeau2.jpg

I was shown this flash elsewhere, and I have doubts about it.

The thread looks way too thick compared to wartime embroidery.  Plus I've only seen this patch as a silk woven pocket patch.

I am not saying it did not come from the veteran's collection, and if he owned it there is some kind of value in that alone.

But the patch looks like one of the reproductions coming out of Vietnam 15 to 20 years ago.

wartimecollectables.com

Definitively wartime. I have seen that embroidery before.  I assume elsewhere is our friend in Australia.