Uniform question -photo reference-

BrokenShovelDude

BrokenShovelDude

I've been wanting to do an impression of my grandfather (or at least soldiers in his company in general) for the longest time, and now that I have photos of him I can start!

so I've decided that the best reference would be this picture. He is the one second to the left with the sidecap.

L-Company.jpg

For the rest of the pictures see this thread: Photos

So basically what I'm looking for is a list of probable field gear and uniforms my grandfather and others in his company would have used.

He said that in combat (most likely 1943-ish) he wore either a cap like the man farthest to the right (khaki army cap?), an M1 helmet, M1 garand cartridge belt, he had a .45 at his side (not a .38 like the others in the picture) and leggings. He would wear his sidecap when not in combat (of course). When I was at his house yesterday he said he would swap weapons once and a while and use a Thompson. So a list of what a Thompson user (?) would carry would be appreciated too.

He didn't specify whether he wore OD or Khaki, but judging by the photos he used mostly early war stuff. So It would be much appreciated for any info on what type of gear he and the officers in the pictures are using. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the officers in the pictures are wearing the mid war two buckle boots. (which is odd IMO) It appears that they are wearing a mix mix of late war OD and Khaki uniforms, but I'm not too familiar with WWII uniforms, so please enlighten me.

Thanks!

PS-just to settle a dispute, that hat that the man third to the left is a Fedora, correct? because my friend insists it's a "ausie hat" and I'm almost 100 percent sure that the Australians were not involved in any conflict in the Philippines.

an M1 helmet

How did they get the M1 helmets?

If you go through the Life Magazine archives on Google and search for photos related to "guerillas" in the PI you don't see any helmets at all except a pith helmet or two. You do see lots of the cotton khaki garrison caps and the patrol caps. This photo was taken in 1945 when new weapons were being shipped in.

picaps.jpg

I'll bet those carbines were a big improvement over some of those jungle made zip guns and machetes they were using. Those were some brave folks to go up against a fully equipped modern army with what they had.

BrokenShovelDude
How did they get the M1 helmets?

If you go through the Life Magazine archives on Google and search for photos related to "guerillas" in the PI you don't see any helmets at all except a pith helmet or two. You do see lots of the cotton khaki garrison caps and the patrol caps. This photo was taken in 1945 when new weapons were being shipped in.

Actually- The phillippines had surplus from the battle of Bataan. They had weapons long before 1945. Mostly Surplus from Philippine scouts, Army and USMC. I'm not completely sure how he ended up with an M1 helmet- but if you look at this picture below, you'll see that a fair amount of people are wearing them. Chances are he didn't get the helmet until 1945. I'll ask him to clear it up. And another reason could be because my grandfather's unit wasn't exactly as isolated as most considering it was near Luzon. So I wouldn't be surprised if weapons were smuggled in from Quezon. If you look closely in the picture on the first post, you'll see that the 30 cal was actually taken off of a jeep and mounted using a makeshift bipod. (looks like they took the mount and bended it to become a bipod)

LCompany4.jpg

This picture was taken earlier in the war. You can see that most of them are armed with 1903 Springfields.

LCompany3.jpg

Does anyone know where to get the Khaki army caps? (not the garrison caps)

• 4 weeks later...
sixthofjune44

Hey BrokeShovel,

I'm very interested in learning more about a filipino guerilla. I'm half 'pino and my mom told me stories about my Grandpa being interogated my the Japs, and in the pictures I have of his funeral he received U.S. military honors. I don't have any other info unfortunately. I can only assume that he was part of the filipino forces fighting w/ the United States. My mom was born in 1944, so she doesn't know anything first hand. They lived in Baguio which is about 130 from Manilla. I plan on doing a display and/or impression of a Philippine soldier. If you have any other info, I'd appreciate if you'd share or point me in the right direction.

Also, wouldn't they have M1917 helmets available?

Thanks,

Paul

I found this Reenactor group in a Swiss Forum, can't find thier website, I tried www.onesixthwarriors.com think.gif

21stidre.jpg

kingandcountryre.jpg

2nd. Battalion, 22nd. Infantry Regiment, 21st. Infantry Divison

Commanded by Silver Star, Philippine Gold Cross, Captain Antonio Ortega

whose Battalion retook and held the partially overun positions of the 57th Infantry, PS

at the Abucay Line, Bataan 1942

buglerteddyortegare.jpg

spoilsofwarre.jpg

wreathhonorguard.jpg

philippinedivision.jpg

memorialguests.jpg

Check out this guy! thumbsup.gif

horse2.jpg