What is the significance of this Insignia?

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

I found this at the flea market together with a Japanese helmet. The roundel on the M1 is the real question. It looks like a US Army Air Force Roundel, but it seems to me that I have seen this before? Has anyone else ever seen this before? Has this been associated with any specific unit? Thanks ABN

IMG_7352[1].JPG

That’s a very cool helmet.

Somewhere in the past I saw a photo of a sailor on a ship wearing a helmet with a star painted on it.

Salvage Sailor

A bit of a stretch, but...

Star Roundel = Seaplane Tender Insignia - Lapwing Minesweeper or another class of WWII AVP

628034365_LapwingSeaplaneTender01.jpg.fe0ec5c11e606e676f15beb116a08016.jpg

4 hours ago, manayunkman said:

That’s a very cool helmet.

Somewhere in the past I saw a photo of a sailor on a ship wearing a helmet with a star painted on it.

Why would it be a stretch as sailors painted all kinds of things on their helmets during WWII?

I think the roundel on your minesweeper is a red circle, white star with a blue center.  But an interesting idea.

Salvage Sailor
20 hours ago, gwb123 said:

I think the roundel on your minesweeper is a red circle, white star with a blue center.  But an interesting idea.

Right, that's why it would be a stretch.  (It's a blue field, white star, red dot, like our USMF Banner at the top of the pages) The Interwar seaplane tender roundel had the center dot, early WWII era was the star on a blue field.

phantomfixer

from 42-43 the OP insignia was used on aircraft, without the red star and without the bars added to the roundel

I know USAAF flown/assigned Spitfire used this insignia and  also Navy aircraft

Spitfire-MkVb-USAAF-31FG309FS-MXZ-shrapnel-damage-Oct-1942-01.jpg

spitfire_01.jpg