Help ID these helmets

ChrisG43

First one looks like one of the HGU-2 series but might be a early HGU-22, the one with the thick black edge roll seems to be a HGU-22 or 26 series sometimes called a Quarter Shell Assembly, and the liner is a Navy VTEC liner for the SPH-3 series or whichever config it became and was a HGU-XX depending on the config

phantomfixer

Dig that serviceable tag from Travis AFB....looks like a 2A....

Mohawk, why is there a second stud just below the virgin islands decal on the first helmet?

5 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Dig that serviceable tag from Travis AFB....looks like a 2A....

Mohawk, why is there a second stud just below the virgin islands decal on the first helmet?

From what I recall it was added to utilize the M44 style goggles with the Nuclear Flash lenses.   Which Travis certainly issued those goggles in their KC-10s.  I have a pair that came from there.

phantomfixer
20 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

From what I recall it was added to utilize the M44 style goggles with the Nuclear Flash lenses.   Which Travis certainly issued those goggles in their KC-10s.  I have a pair that came from there.

ahhh  we had em here at Dover, but they used a strap..thanks 

21 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

ahhh  we had em here at Dover, but they used a strap..thanks 

Yeah as is the goggles themselves have the 2 short staps with the snap sockets at the end to attach to a helmet. If a helmet isn't used it has that adapter strap in the case that connects the 2 halves on the goggles. 

Both helmets seem to be HGU-22/P -based (given the lack of cooling holes in the shell / liner that rule the early / middle HGU-2A/P out).

• First one is in my opinion a late contract HGU-2A/P  (early 70's, based on a -22/P shell, headset not being spring-loaded anymore), but also might be an early single-visor HGU-26/P, for the polystyrene liner with sizing pads was used in both types.
  • The second shell with thick black edgeroll and leather-covered liner indeed looks like an uncompleted quarter helmet assembly, based on a -22/P shell too.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:16 PM, mohawkALSE said:

From what I recall it was added to utilize the M44 style goggles with the Nuclear Flash lenses.

Yes, the G-635 goggles.

I don't know much about these, but I would concur with your statement since I have this second pair of studs mounted on my S.A.C. B-52 HGU-2A/P too.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Vark_07 said:

Both helmets seem to be HGU-22/P -based (given the lack of cooling holes in the shell / liner that rule the early / middle HGU-2A/P out).

• First one is in my opinion a late contract HGU-2A/P  (early 70's, based on a -22/P shell, headset not being spring-loaded anymore), but also might be an early single-visor HGU-26/P, for the polystyrene liner with sizing pads was used in both types.
  • The second shell with thick black edgeroll and leather-covered liner indeed looks like an uncompleted quarter helmet assembly, based on a -22/P shell too.

Yes, the G-635 goggles.

I don't know much about these, but I would concur with your statement since I have this second pair of studs mounted on my S.A.C. B-52 HGU-2A/P too.

spacer.png

The later HGU-2A/P helmets had the updated impact liner with no vent holes in them.  Id say its a older 2A/P shell with some updates to it over its time in service.  Those MILPAR Columbus made receivers are sure older and might be original to the helmet when it was first setup.  I tried looking up that NSN listed on the tag to see if I could get a match but it didnt turn up anything so it might be a FSN turned NSN for a HGU-2.  All the shells and helmets I saw related to the Quarter shell or HGU-26 had a different NSN that whats shown on this 1574 tag.  Id love to find a list of both the HGU-2A/P and HGU-22/26 showing the NSNs of each config of helmet and each size etc,  that would pin point what they classified it as in the life support shop when they filled that tag out.

So right after that posted I struck gold finding a picture of a box with the same NSN and designation.  That NSN is for a single visor config size large HGU-26.   So either that was a old helmet and just updated to that config or if its actually a factory mid 70s HGU-26 who knows without seeing the original tag but as it sits it would be the single visor 26.

Just now, Spathologist said:

Can you fly wearing those things?

Oh yeah,  its got the very dark lens that has the gold outer layer.  Then you wear that pirate patch underneath in case they fail so you have 1 good eye left from what Ive heard.  The electric powered EEU-2 and EEU-2A/P PLTZ Nuclear Flash Blindness Goggles also come with a eye patch.   Those goggles are pretty cool, you would test them using a SDU-5 strobe to simulate the nuke flash to see if they would instantly darken as they should.

• 3 months later...

I've sold about half the helmets I purchased...surprised one of them have already been resold again.  I purchased a bunch of helmets, hanging onto the P-4's primarily....I need to post some pics of those, I have one of the brackets, but no visor lenses.....

6 minutes ago, ChrisG43 said:

I've sold about half the helmets I purchased...surprised one of them have already been resold again.  I purchased a bunch of helmets, hanging onto the P-4's primarily....I need to post some pics of those, I have one of the brackets, but no visor lenses.....

Any idea what size that HGU-2 was? I'm thinking about getting it as and doing a restoration. and the price is right.

43 minutes ago, Mikeym_us said:

Any idea what size that HGU-2 was? I'm thinking about getting it as and doing a restoration. and the price is right.

Sorry, I don't remember....