What do you folks think? The uniform meets the requirements of an aide to the adjutant general but it also has the look of a fraternal uniform. Anything stand out to the group that would sway you one way or another?

3F68EFE8-6DD4-4FE5-959B-1DDD194293BA.jpeg

Pointedcuffs

Looks federal to me. 1879 9 button field grade pattern coat. Chapeau looks good as does the belt and buckle.

Thank you both for your input.  The coat and buckle look federal to me also, but I wasn't sure about the chapeau.  With the feather covering the top part of the hat, I can't see what insignia is there.  

The second photo which shows a Knights of Pythias uniform shows how confusing this can be.  The person in the photo wears the rank of KoP colonel and served on the KoP Brigade Commander's staff as an assistant Inspector General so the insignia worn is almost identical to Federal uniform for a colonel who is also a staff officer.  

The one difference that I see is how the buttons close the coat.  The KoP coat has more of a vertical button arrangement as opposed to the other photo which shows more of a diagonal arrangement.