USS Owl patch on VN Spectre party suit

Siamundo

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Navy or Air Force patch section, but thought this was interesting. On the sleeve of this special operations party suit is a Thai made tab/patch for the USS Owl. I  found references for two different USS Owls in the US Navy's history-the first a minesweeper decommissioned in 1946, and the second a landing craft and later classified as a coastal minesweeper which was decommissioned in 1957. I don't know know any details about the original owner or his military history, so just speculating he may have done a stint in the Navy before transferring to the Air Force. I think there have been other topics posted about theater made insignia from Vietnam being made and worn for WW II and Korean War era military units in which the wearer had previously served. DSC05228.JPG.d27f1235da070675e2e9d71d04ecb143.JPGDSC05229.JPG.ff18b9d052afe6c20617e374df05308e.JPG

The owner may of had a relative who served on the USS Owl.  He's demilitarized this party suit by removing the rank and adding the Oshkosh 1975 patch. 

Yes, it is unfortunate he removed the rank and at least one patch from the left chest. I am guessing he continued his interest in flying post war and wore this to at least one EAA event in 1975. The EAA patch is just loosely hand stitched on the sleeve and I had debated about removing it but decided to leave it in the place-at least for the time being 😀