21st Ordnance (Medium Maintenance) Company pocket patch

DutchErik

I got this pocket patch with a small lot of US Army insignia but haven't been able to identify it yet. The motto (On the ball) relates to the 254th Field Artillery battalion, but the grenade refers to ordnance I think and what  about the "21" in the grenade? I guess the patch dates from the 1950's.

Who can tell me more?

DutchErik

IMG_20210926_091657.jpg

21st Ordnance (Medium Maintenance) Company

WW 2 service SWPTO post war occupation Japan, stationed Kyoto Japan until mid 1960s, then sent to RVN. Patch made in Japan c. 1952

Thanks for this information, but what about the text / motto? Is it by coincidence the same as with the 254th FA battalion or is there a link between these units?

On 10/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, DutchErik said:

Thanks for this information, but what about the text / motto? Is it by coincidence the same as with the 254th FA battalion or is there a link between these units?

Would think it's just a reference to the Cannon Ball of the Ordnance Corps, though its officially called by the Army as a "Shell and Flame", and of course in like other armies, like the British, it's called a Grenade, as in the ancient Grenades Grenadiers carried.

15 hours ago, DutchErik said:

Thank you, your point of view makes sence.

Yes seeing that this is a Post War Occupation Japan patch, early 50s patch, they just chose the motto On The Ball without any frame of reference, the Unit Crest of the 254th Field Artillery Battalion on the other hand only came out in 1956,  8 February 1956, choosing On The Ball as their motto, probably because of their most decent combat service in Europe in WWII, in example during the Battle of the Bulge the 254th Field Artillery Battalion was cited twice by the Belgian Army and was awarded the Belgian Fourragere. 

Knowing that the units were on different sides of the world and that the 21st Ordnance company patch was made before the 254th FA battalion DI was authorized makes it all clear.

Case closed I would say. Thanks for all the information and efforts you made to get me up-to-date.👍