C-7 Caribou 150 Combat Missions patch

Siamundo

Over the years I have seen several different Missions/Combat Missions patches. Many of those from Vietnam era aircraft are often from the higher profile aircraft of the era like the F-4, F-105, and B-52's. This is one I hadn't run across before though, a C-7 Caribou. The Caribou was a small cargo plane ideal for use on shorter runways as found in smaller camps and bases in Vietnam. It was used by several US Army aviation units until 1967 when the aircraft were turned over to the Air Force. At first I thought the patch was Vietnamese made, but now am wondering if it might be Korean made. I have looked on-line for other examples but haven't had any luck.

IMG_20211002_0001.jpg

IMG_20211002_0002.jpg

The Caribou is a pretty cool uncommon aircraft, another forgotten aircraft that wasn't mainstream like the F-4 or B-52 everyone knows about.  That is a very cool patch.  Even though the majority of them in the Army were turned over as stated, there were still a few left in the Army and Army Guard that trucked on til the end.  I think the Army Golder Knights team might have used one for a bit, a short time in the early 70s the US Army Precision Helicopter Demonstration Team "Silver Eagles" used one and I know ARNG AVCRAD facilities had them for utiility/cargo use.  The CT ARNG actually operated one from their Groton AVCRAD unit til 1991, the last one to finally be retired.  Its currently on display at the New England Air Museum.   Its always something different to look at there and my father knew guys who flew it.  The C-23 Sherpa took over the Caribous role in the ARNG after that and those are all now retired as well as of 2013 or so.   They were very well loved by the Army when they had them, was too bad they had to give up their fixed wing airlift.  This battle has still gone on in recent times with the Army and the USAF over fixed wing aircraft.  Army had shown interest in giving the CH-47 a little rest and getting C-27 Spartan fixed wing transports.  the AF quickly ended that although ARSOC or ARSOAC got a handful of them.

Sorry if my original statement about the C-7 transferring from Army aviation units to the Air Force caused any confusion. Since I was discussing Vietnam combat mission patches in general, I should have worded that sentence more clearly that I was only referencing those aviation units stationed in Vietnam at that time. As for other regular Army units stationed stateside, non-CONUS, Reserve and Guard units that may have also been using the C-7, I do not know what their status was in 1967.

Thanks for the extra information everyone. That is a great looking patch 268th C.A., I appreciate you sharing it.

3 hours ago, Siamundo said:

Sorry if my original statement about the C-7 transferring from Army aviation units to the Air Force caused any confusion. Since I was discussing Vietnam combat mission patches in general, I should have worded that sentence more clearly that I was only referencing those aviation units stationed in Vietnam at that time. As for other regular Army units stationed stateside, non-CONUS, Reserve and Guard units that may have also been using the C-7, I do not know what their status was in 1967.

Thanks for the extra information everyone. That is a great looking patch 268th C.A., I appreciate you sharing it.

The Army’s designation for the Caribou was CV-2. The AF changed it to C-7.

18 hours ago, e19 said:

The Army’s designation for the Caribou was CV-2. The AF changed it to C-7.

Yeah AC-1 then after 1962 CV-2 but even later down the pipeline they used the C-7A.  The CT ARNG bird on display still shows that on the side of the aircraft saying US Army Model C-7A Serial Number etc.  I guess the Army even looked in to the CV-7 Buffalo as well in the mid 60s which was a turbine version of the Caribou that the Canadians still use but it never materialized for the US Army probably due to the 1967 stuff.

And Siamundo,  no confusion I just wanted to share that info on them, I know yes didn't really apply to Vietnam but I found it interesting that one Ive seen stayed in service and was the very last one used in 1991.  I think USAF Reserve units dumped theirs in the 80s but not sure.  They have a Caribou on display at The Museum of the USAF in Dayton, OH which they do state was a Army aircraft first.