M1942 AFH dated 1943 but incomplete

MattS

I found this uncut M1942 AFH dated 1943 (obviously) with missing internals, cross guard, and the US and ordnance bomb ground off. It doesn’t appear to ever have had those parts installed so I wonder if this is a factory reject. And no, it was not $29, the seller was asking $299. Any ideas? 

69DD831F-F30C-4D5D-B7B1-64C3270B7DAC.jpeg

F3FA7D5C-19C7-403E-8A8F-FFDBB315B884.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Misfit 45 said:

With the angle of the photograph, I'll have to ask.  Is the blade 10 inches long or 16?

Marv

“Uncut” as in 16” long. 

Thanks for the clarification.  This M1905/42 would not be something I would want to spend much money on.  It has too much damage, sorry.

Marv

I agree it’s not worth anything near the asking price and I have no intention of buying it. My question is about the ground off markings and missing parts, that were apparently never installed, being indicative of a factory reject as I hadn’t seen that before. 

If he/she wanted $300 for that bayo I'd believe most of it would be overpriced. He/she will probably just sit on it until the lightbulb comes on (or not).

1 minute ago, sundance said:

If he/she wanted $300 for that bayo I'd believe most of it would be overpriced. He/she will probably just sit on it until the lightbulb comes on (or not).

Agreed. 

Has anyone here seen a similar unfinished (reject?) bayonet with the US and ordnance markings ground off? 

Maybe I'm wrong, but it may not be a reject(based on pic).  M1 bayonet guards were slid on over the blade, and held on by pins, which can fall out, or be removed. . The spring, catch, and button can be easily removed by taking off the grips. The ground out "US" was done if the bayonet was surplused out, which was sometimes done.  I think it was scavenged for parts, or someone was trying to make something else out of it. Just my opinion.  SKIP

Thanks Skip. Seems counterproductive to strip a complete 43 dated 16” to complete something else, but not everything that people do makes sense. 

A lot of civilians removed branch of service and property of U.S. GOVERNMENT markings out of ignorance and fear that they might be accused of theft from Uncle Sam.

I was trying to figure out if the grips were worth the $29 I read fist. I agree that it was probably not a reject and was just altered some time for some reason. It it was rejected it would never have seen grips.