I own a restored M1 should I make it a LTs helmet?

Cote_1918

So awhile ago I bought a reenactors collection and he had two m1s. I want to make one into a LTs helmet, any thoughts?

With a refurbished helmet, I would think the world is your oyster (so to speak). I don't think you need to be worried about it losing prvenance/value. There are few guys around who restore/embellish helmets that are really good at it. 

CavalryCombatant

Don’t really see any harm, so long as it’s not intended to deceive.

Keep us posted! 

This is asked a lot. Another perspective: When we are newer to a collecting area we tend to see these as "ours" and "as long as you aren't ripping others off...." then it's okay as we race to meet some goals we see for our collection. The longer you are in it and the more you see, your perception changes. Older collectors don't tend to work towards a shelf of "tribute" helmets of all their favorite "some day" finds. That is if we learn as we go. Some feel they know too much to be like everyone else but fakes abound as it is.

Remember, Cote, you won't own this forever. None of us will - no exceptions. What if you hadn't purchased this from a known reenactor? You would likely be posting it here for review of authenticity. Once you decide to add to or subtract from a collectible you are deciding it isn't very important to not only change and confuse it's perceived past but it's future. You don't know what the next guy will do or claim. Some say, "...the next guy could paint it too so do what you want now..." You have to decide if you want to participate in any level of that. Some do - some do not. Who would you rather buy, sell, and trade with? Be the collector you want to see. You know it is restored and that alone is a grey area. Add in an insignia puts it past grey IMO. This hobby is full of fakes that started presumably with no intent to deceive - be it a movie prop or a tribute to one's relative. Meanwhile, daily, we see requests for opinions on altered helmets with no proof one way or another who and when they were altered. Please don't add to that confusion.

Please don't read offense into this but I assume you really want a Lt helmet. Like the more experienced collectors, save up and buy one with provenance. It will hold it's value and not end up forever in the shallow end of the collecting pool and your collecting experience will be richer.

Take this for what it's worth.

D

Howlingriffon

Forgive me if this should be elsewhere but opinions are requested.  As the above discussion notes, there are issues for the future with these items.  I am working on a restoration and intend to engrave "Restored 20XX" inside the pot.  Would this be advisable or heresy?  Same lines with know reproduction purchases, permanently mark any that are not.

I'm not an M-1 collector and have been chastised for my opinions on painted lids but I think it's more the added insignia that tends to be intentionally done by fakers to add more value that's ruining the hobby. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to mark it "restored" as they are usually pretty obvious to tell. It's usually best to not restore anything but many have been and some are in near "dug up" condition.

To do any of these things "right" one would be doing them as authentically as possible, right? If one adds an insignia then we can add Lt. bars with removable glitter tape - no foul. If not by that ridiculous method then using the correct paint, techniques, insignia period and size, etc. to look the most authentic is the "right way" to do it. Is that deceptive to others even if one's intent is not to deceive? That becomes the problem as you mention.

It's an implied vs categorical imperative thing IMO.

Dave

On 10/1/2021 at 4:13 PM, dmar836 said:

This is asked a lot. Another perspective: When we are newer to a collecting area we tend to see these as "ours" and "as long as you aren't ripping others off...." then it's okay as we race to meet some goals we see for our collection. The longer you are in it and the more you see, your perception changes. Older collectors don't tend to work towards a shelf of "tribute" helmets of all their favorite "some day" finds. That is if we learn as we go. Some feel they know too much to be like everyone else but fakes abound as it is.

Remember, Cote, you won't own this forever. None of us will - no exceptions. What if you hadn't purchased this from a known reenactor? You would likely be posting it here for review of authenticity. Once you decide to add to or subtract from a collectible you are deciding it isn't very important to not only change and confuse it's perceived past but it's future. You don't know what the next guy will do or claim. Some say, "...the next guy could paint it too so do what you want now..." You have to decide if you want to participate in any level of that. Some do - some do not. Who would you rather buy, sell, and trade with? Be the collector you want to see. You know it is restored and that alone is a grey area. Add in an insignia puts it past grey IMO. This hobby is full of fakes that started presumably with no intent to deceive - be it a movie prop or a tribute to one's relative. Meanwhile, daily, we see requests for opinions on altered helmets with no proof one way or another who and when they were altered. Please don't add to that confusion.

Please don't read offense into this but I assume you really want a Lt helmet. Like the more experienced collectors, save up and buy one with provenance. It will hold it's value and not end up forever in the shallow end of the collecting pool and your collecting experience will be richer.

Take this for what it's worth.

D

I think I'm going to leave it the way it is after reading your thoughts, Nobody will know its restored but me unless I label it or something. I wouldn't want it to be sold as an original. Also when I become worm food I would want my collection to be donated to a museum if other family has no interest. Wouldn't want it to end up misinterpreted for an original.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, Howlingriffon said:

Forgive me if this should be elsewhere but opinions are requested.  As the above discussion notes, there are issues for the future with these items.  I am working on a restoration and intend to engrave "Restored 20XX" inside the pot.  Would this be advisable or heresy?  Same lines with know reproduction purchases, permanently mark any that are not.

I wouldn't engrave something personally only because its damaging the shell.