M1 Garand - current value?

rd12

I have an Springfield M1 Garand that I purchased from CMP probably 20 years ago. It is “service grade” I believe. I have never fired it, just had it on display.  I’m looking to sell to a friend, interested in opinions on current (fair) prices.

Thanks!

That's a good question, it would probably depend on the condition and make up of the rifle. Then you have the WW2 Springfield and Winchester rifles and later manufacturers. Are the components, or most of them, "correct" for the serial number? The stock can also be a big factor if it matches and has original markings. In any case, I've seen the typical post WW2 rebuilds (mixed parts) in the $1,200 to $1,500 range, with mostly WW2 correct going for quite a bit more naturally. 

James

Thanks jmd62. I can post some pics this weekend. It’s a CMP rebuild so I don’t think all parts are original, though they are correct. 

Correct and original have several different meanings when collecting rifles. Correct refers to each part being made by the right manufacturer or subcontractor for a rifle from that particular manufacturer in that timeframe. There are books that list the exact subcontractors that should be present and serious collectors look for guns with all the correct parts that have never been rebuilt. 

Your rifle from the CMP I’d guess is probably a Korean War rebuild. We would have to see to be 100% sure. When I got my examples a few years ago I paid 1k-1200 for my two normal m1s.

I'm sure coming from CMP that mine has been rebuilt, so it does not have all original parts. Especially since I recall that it is "service grade", I'm still trying to find the papers it came with.

We are moving and everything is a mess! I think I paid about $600 for mine, but this was the late '90's. Thanks for the clarification, I'll try and post some pics this weekend.

1500-2000. I just purchased one. Wood all matched and brand new barrel. Made in 44. For 2200$. Another gun shop I frequent had a CMP special for 1700$

Thanks for all the assistance, here’s a few pics. I even found the card it shipped with and the original receipt. They were $400 in 2000. 

4D923A7D-8756-4023-BFA5-03D6A4180B12.jpeg

LE LOUP DES MERS

It really depends on were you live to determine value. For example a 1911 pistol in California will sell for one price well the same pistol will sell at a different price in let's say Wyoming.  the gun shops I visited in the past few months that had m1 garands were asking $2000 and I'm talking just service grade. 

LE LOUP DES MERS
1 hour ago, mdk0911 said:

WOW - 2K for a service grade!!

I agree it's crazy but hey gun shops can ask what they want I guess.

I guess it all depends on what you wan to make for profit to a friend.

Field grade rifles is still available from the CMP for  $700 and includes shipping costs. The rifles will a have ne wood on them. I got two last March and they were very nice rifles. Both Springfield's. WW2 serial number range receiver's with later barrels. I have seen a few with new barrels. No idea what would be available in house at the CMP store in Anniston. 

8 hours ago, m4 hst said:

Scottz63    were you in air defense  Missile,s

Yes. Patriot. I was a Patriot instructor the last 4 years I was in.

Thanks    I was on a nike missle base,   but seen the patriot in Korea.       I got a lot of ww2  vehicles now days     My M1 guarand is a 1956     build by IH  I got it for 325 dollars   so hope it worth it.   I got a WW2 M4   high speed tractor, they pull the long tom cannon

4 hours ago, m4 hst said:

Thanks    I was on a nike missle base,   but seen the patriot in Korea.       I got a lot of ww2  vehicles now days     My M1 guarand is a 1956     build by IH  I got it for 325 dollars   so hope it worth it.   I got a WW2 M4   high speed tractor, they pull the long tom cannon

As long as its not beat up and is at least field grade that's a good price.  Currently when they are available the Field grades sell for $650.  I think they have run out of them.  I've only sean service grade for sale.  

$325 for your Garand sounds like a great deal in my opinion. It's always fun to see what comes out of the CMP as Field or Service grades. Some I wouldn't want personally, but others that seem like steals. Luck of the draw I guess.

The barrel has  4- 54     a33     I did not see any  stock marked         I might  have been wrong on the date 1956, A friend said it was a 1956    

Charlie Flick

Questions on firearm values are always tough due to there being so many variables (location, condition, originality, bore quality, etc.)

Here is one definite data point for you, however.  The Summer 2021 issue of the Garand Collectors Association Journal had a small article reporting on the results of a February 2021 auction held in a "small Missouri town".  There were 77 M1 Garands sold, most of which had come from the CMP.  The condition ran from "excellent to parts guns."  The average sale price realized was $1630.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie