US Embassy wooden seal/podium plaque

Hello All,

Here is an US Embassy seal plaque from The Hague located 1945-2018

After 9-11 the embassy perimeter was covered with high fences and more security. Because of this In 2006 the US goverment  and the Netherlands decided to located the embassy In the near furture to a new location.

This plaque is mostly recoverd around 2018 when the Embassy closed and moved to the new location at Wassenaar.

Interesting side fact is that the first US embassy on foreign soil was established in 1782 in The Hague and the building was bought by the ambassador John Adams the later 2nd president of the US

emb2.png

emb3.png

emb

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like brass.

Very interesting.

My opa and oma last lived in The Hague on Emantsstraat.

They lived in Wassenaar during WWII.

12 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Looks like brass.

Very interesting.

My opa and oma last lived in The Hague on Emantsstraat.

They lived in Wassenaar during WWII.

Thank you,  it looks like metal, but it is a kind of plastic/laminated/wood. 

Den Haag/Wassenaar is a beautiful place to live, although during the war I believe the Germans launched there V1 Or V2 with mobile units over Europe 🙄

My father watched the launchings.

Apparently one of the V-2s crashed into a German barracks prompting my opa to lift a glass of Jenever and salute the new wonder weapon.

General Apathy
On 9/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, Silvio said:

Hello All,

Here is an US Embassy seal plaque from The Hague located 1945-2018

After 9-11 the embassy perimeter was covered with high fences and more security. Because of this In 2006 the US goverment  and the Netherlands decided to located the embassy In the near furture to a new location.

This plaque is mostly recoverd around 2018 when the Embassy closed and moved to the new location at Wassenaar.

Interesting side fact is that the first US embassy on foreign soil was established in 1782 in The Hague and the building was bought by the ambassador John Adams the later 2nd president of the US

emb2.png

emb3.png

emb 329.59 kB · 1 download

Hi Silvio,

In 1940 the father of one of my Dutch friends was ordered by the Germans to remove all embassy signs from The Hague and area as in the new Third Reich there would be no necessity for embassies, so he kept them as he was not told otherwise,  I saw some of them in the 1980's.

regards lewis.

1 hour ago, pmargulies said:

What are the dimensions of the plaque?  It is unlike most I see and I work for the US Dept of State.

It is 4,5 inch diameter

Thank you

38 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Silvio,

In 1940 the father of one of my Dutch friends was ordered by the Germans to remove all embassy signs from The Hague and area as in the new Third Reich there would be no necessity for embassies, so he kept them as he was not told otherwise,  I saw some of them in the 1980's.

regards lewis.

Hello Lewis, that would be cool. I assumed it was post war but never noticed the Pre war US embassy link. But wasn't the US embassy not functional till the end of 41 when the war was declared. 

Thank you

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Silvio said:

Hello Lewis, that would be cool. I assumed it was post war but never noticed the Pre war US embassy link. But wasn't the US embassy not functional till the end of 41 when the war was declared. 

Thank you

Hello Silvio,

I think they were mainly the ' European ' countries that Germany were taking over which would have been Norway, France, Belgium etc. 

The ones I saw were a standardised size and shape, a vertical oval shape like the one shown, 38 x 30 inches ( 95 x 75 Cms ) made in enamelled metal.

.fullsizeoutput_d84a.jpeg.f2a00addf3672468868dcf0eeac0a39a.jpeg

regards lewis.