M-1936 USMC Belt opinion

cerick1450

Hello

I have a question about a M36 belt.  No US Marking.  Maker marked SFCo Inc.  It does not have a US Or USMC stamp on it.  It is dated 1943..  Would this be a Marine item, or just an unmarked army?

Thank you

ps I hope to get pictures soon..

Lets say its USMC and call it a day.😁

On a serious note i believe it is USMC. S.F. CO. Inc did make USMC contracted field gear that did not bare the USMC marking.

I believe only 1 or 2 companies made gear that was stamped U.S.M.C.

Boyt was one.

You can find USMC contract .45/Carbine mag pouches that bare no USMC mark but are stamped S.F.CO.Inc 1943 on reverse.

So taking that into account its a good bet its USMC.

Nice belt👍

Although the pictured S.F. Co | 1943 M36 belt is marked "U. S.", it has some odd features. When found it had a pair of M1956 belt sliders and the male belt clasp was thin, sharp blackened copper. I noted the odd issue (or named owner) markings on the inside. Also the female dot snap appears to be nickel coated brass. Does not look like it was ever painted or blackened. Lastly is the faulty offset between the last set of eyelets before the end with the securing hook. Bought it because it was only a few dollars and figured I would eventually find a junker belt to scavenge for the missing parts.

SFCo1943 M36 US.JPG

SFCo1943 M36 US Button Snap.JPG

SFCo1943 M36 US  issue marking.JPG

SFCo1943 M36 US  Eyelets fail.JPG

I believe when you see nickle plated parts, that the items may be reconditioned in a foreign country that received these in the lend lease programs, or were supplied to late war, post war allies. Not sure what to think of the eyelets other than manufacturing mistake that was set aside and considered good enough for foreign issue? 

Semper Fi, Rob 

I would not be surprised. The manufacturing error with the set of eyelets (unless missed) should be cause to reject the belt out of hand. However, doubt this would result in it being destroyed. Seems likely such material was set aside and subsequently sold/sent abroad or ended up on the US commercial market. The outer (button) snap on the belt is typical blackened brass so maybe the nickel rear one was a left-over that got used.