Unknown US 6” projectile

hink441

Found this projectile at a flea market and I am unsure what it is. 

The diameter is 6” and the height is a little over 13” tall. The projectile weighs approximately 45.5 lbs. 

There is a US ordnance flaming pot markings on the bottom and on the side of the projectile. 

I don’t know if this is Army or Navy. I have read about the US Navy 6” guns but have been unable to conclusively say this is a USN 6” projectile. Also it is very close in size to a 155mm so it could very well be an Army round. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Some pics

DE9D0F22-3167-4D2A-8408-31ED1BC39044.jpeg

BBAA3671-3867-4C0C-BBBF-3FEC421D0165.jpeg

8 hours ago, 917601 said:

Looks like a 6” shrapnel shell. WW1 , post WW1 era.

Thank you for your comment. 

I will probably never be able to find the projectile head and fuse for this piece. 

Chris

11 hours ago, hink441 said:

Thank you for your comment. 

I will probably never be able to find the projectile head and fuse for this piece. 

Chris

A Schenkel is fairly easy to find. The hard part would be the adapter, that is the piece the fuze screwed into. When the shell discharged in the air, the force pushed the adapter, fuze and lead balls out like a shotgun shell. The balls dispersed in a conical pattern, the fuze, adapter, and projectile case ( as you have pictured) fell to the ground. Millions of tons were littered on the WW1 battlefields, when cleaned up after the war, hundred foot tall mountains were gathered and melted. The smaller 3”, 75 mm were often picked up and reassembled from parts found stuck in the mud, or laying on the battle field.

See my post on my 75mm shrapnel round, and do a search here for more info.

• 5 weeks later...