Hi! I'm new here!

Gerhardt

Hi new friends,

My name is Sarah, I'm originally from Kansas but now living in Washington.  The real reason I came here is because my dad is a veteran.  He was in Fort Leonard Wood, MO for Basic in 1972, then Fort Knox for AIT, then was in Fort Hood from 1973-1974.  He was the last person drafted from our small county in Kansas! I've always thought that was kind of cool.

So, as it turns out, my mother burned all the photos of his time in the military and I was reaching out to see if there were any veterans out there that may have known him and have pictures from that time? He also mentioned that in 1973 when they switched from OD green to Camo (they hadn't yet switched, but were getting ready to) they brought in some camo for him and his tank-mates to wear while they took some pictures that may/may not have shown up in Army recruitment posters in 1974+.  I saw a few posts where people actually had some of these from Fort Hood and it really made me wonder! I thought it'd be hilarious to find since he's a draftee and then on a recruitment poster :-D

Anyway -- his name is Gerald Gerhardt, he was 2nd Armored Division Hell on Wheels and I believe he said he was Bravo Troop...but I may have that one wrong.  I'm super excited to browse around and see what I find here too! 

Sarah

Welcome to Washington, Sarah, and to the US Militaria forum. Do you know what training company and time your dad was at Fort Knox? I took AIT there in 1972 also. A-2-1 for M-60 tanks from March to May, and D-1-1 for M-551 Sheridans from May to June. Went to Germany after that. I'm assuming your dad was in M-60 tanks. My dad was at Fort Hood with 2d Armored Division, but it was 1951-53. We moved from there to Washington just before I was born.

Dad was in Fort Knox in September or October, he was A-1-3.  Dad said you must have been a real tanker, he was 11 Delta.  He must have passed you as you left ;-)