Helmet stacking?

ken88

Hi,

Any recommendations on how to stack helmets? Particularly wondering about the liners, is it safe to be stacking complete helmets over a long period of time? Mainly concerned about the weight pressing against the sweatband etc. 

Thanks

I can envision a way to do that safely, sure! 

1. Not too many in the stack(s)
2. No wobbling around, straight up and down only
3. Need soft barrier spacer (foam, cotton wad, anything soft and stable) between top inside of one helmet and top outside of the one underneath 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 11:18 AM, ken88 said:

Hi,

Any recommendations on how to stack helmets? Particularly wondering about the liners, is it safe to be stacking complete helmets over a long period of time? Mainly concerned about the weight pressing against the sweatband etc. 

Thanks

I wouldn't advise it.  I remember going into an antique shop when I was younger and they had a stack of WW1 M1917 helmets and they had been stacked for so long that the liners would stick to the helmet below leaving pieces of the liner behind and damaging the paint.    

Thanks, I've only stacked 2 M1 helmets at the moment cause of limited space, the only thing I'm really concerned about is the webbing and sweatband in the liner on top. I've thought about making some sort of stand in between the helmets with cardboard or something to relieve possible pressure but haven't yet figured it out. I suppose there isn't a very big risk of damaging the upper liner but will definitely look into the solutions laid out above. Thanks!