P-38 Monogram/Revell 1/48 Scale

CandaceStonestreet86

CandaceStonestreet86

This is my first model, I never really got into them when I was younger because they seemed very complicated, they still are complicated and I'm in my 30s lol

I made tons of mistakes and all are very clearly visible, the seams didn't fit together that well and I totally messed up on painting and decals hence there is none and when I did a flat finish at the end I got it all over the canopy.

Well anyway, it was a great learning on it and I'm definitely gonna try some techniques on my next one which is the P-61 Black Widow.20210924_134515.jpg.942d86a8c50f10fbfba475ea593cee86.jpg20210919_205457.jpg.53e01638769dc7e90cf151c06c2d3e74.jpg20210919_205436.jpg.d0c33444a65436841f277ca972dc86a8.jpg

That’s a great 1st effort!  Each time you learn more and you can always go back and perfect you’re earlier models. If you had fun you’re doing good!

This is your first model, really? I think you did a very good job on the P-38, well done. Looking forward to see your next project. Is it the MIG 29 visible on the first picture? Keep up the great work!

You did a very nice job with this P-38 in the South Pacific for your first model. With your talent, you'll only get better with experience.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I think it looks fantastic. Great job. Really tells a story.

....that over spray on the canopy is from the sea water spray when he was coming in low across the lagoon... ☺️  I recall my father in law telling of the salt water spray off the sea when they were flying the mission to it Shell House in Copenhagen in February of 1945. They flew 20-25 feet off the sea crossing over and he said the spray froze on the canopies making it a bit difficult to see. 

CandaceStonestreet86
On 9/27/2021 at 3:36 PM, manayunkman said:

Exceptional first model!

Did you post pictures of the platform several weeks ago?

Its scratch built?

Yeah I had a couple of pics for inspiration, one had the most rickety ladder I've ever seen so definitely had to add that in there

ac1adca28530fce362c81b34a8d89991.jpg

The-Lockheed-P-38-Lightning-5.jpg

CandaceStonestreet86

Thanks y'all!

The next model I want to do will be the P-61 Black Widow it's also Monogram/Revell in 1/48th. I'm just gonna keep working through my box of models till I run out and then it's off to find more.

phantomfixer

first model and a blue ribbon winner!  I love the chicken wire(?) ladder...great idea....the MX is awesome...the little detaisl that you added realy make it pop..love it