Removing cigarette smoke smell

avigo

I recently purchased a flight jacket that has a cigarette smoke smell to it. It has some stenciling and other painted parts on it that I do not want to ruin.

Is there a very mild, non-intrusive way to remove the smell that doesn't involve water or rubbing baking soda all over the jacket, etc?

Just simply airing it out hasn't fully worked. 

Thanks so much!

Nylon jacket? I have aired them in the sun for a few days and that seems to work...if nylon you can run it through the dryer with dryer sheets on no heat...

not much worse than cigarette smoke except vermin ...good luck

37 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

Nylon jacket? I have aired them in the sun for a few days and that seems to work...if nylon you can run it through the dryer with dryer sheets on no heat...

not much worse than cigarette smoke except vermin ...good luck

It's actually an A-2 Deck jacket (I missed typed in the original post and it wouldn't let me edit it)

So I believe it's cotton. 

Does airing in the sun make more of a difference than the shade? The jacket means a lot to me and I'd like to avoid it fading in the sun if possible. 

But I know getting rid of smells is tough

1 hour ago, avigo said:

I recently purchased a flight jacket that has a cigarette smoke smell to it. It has some stenciling and other painted parts on it that I do not want to ruin.

Is there a very mild, non-intrusive way to remove the smell that doesn't involve water or rubbing baking soda all over the jacket, etc?

Just simply airing it out hasn't fully worked. 

Thanks so much!

A stated air it out in the garage or outside for a short period and that will help and also place it in a smaller plastic tote or garbage bag with several dryer sheets and keep it sealed. After a few days or a couple weeks take it out and see if the odor has dissipated. Then repeat as nessicary using new dryer sheets. You can even alternate between airing it out in fresh air and then the dryer sheets in a sealed container. This is the least invasive way and you are not going to damage the item. 

Has anyone considered activated carbon? Unless cost is an object, this seams to be a good place for it's use - in a container as Phantom suggested. It can be reprocessed and reused IIRC. If money cannot be spent then I'd say air it in the shade with a fan for circulation but I wouldn't expect the smell to be passively absorbed away from it. No free ride I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, 268th C.A. said:

Febreze works great in smoked in cars.... 

Febreeze has to be washed to truly work...

How Febreze Works

The cyclodextrin molecule resembles a doughnut. When you spray Febreze, the water in the product partially dissolves the odor, allowing it to form a complex inside the "hole" of the cyclodextrin doughnut shape. The stink molecule is still there, but it can't bind to your odor receptors, so you can't smell it. Depending on the type of Febreze you're using, the odor might simply be deactivated or it might be replaced with something nice-smelling, such as a fruity or floral fragrance.

As Febreze dries, more and more of the odor molecules bind to the cyclodextrin, lowering the concentration of the molecules in the air and eliminating the odor. If water is added once again, the odor molecules are released, allowing them to be washed away and truly removed.

Some sources say that Febreze also contains zinc chloride, which would help to neutralize sulfur-containing odors (e.g., onions, rotten eggs) and might dull nasal receptor sensitivity to smell, but this compound is not listed in the ingredients, at least in the spray-on products.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-febreze-works-facts-and-chemistry-606149