M-3 flak helmet

graham

for some reason i cant get my close up of the decal to load. you can just make out W--?M (Wehrmacht ?)

it has been segested it may have belonged to an air guner with 2 kills or a captured item used by the Germans. Nice ideas but i think more likely added post war. what do you reccon????

General Apathy

Hi Graham, it's a large white circle with a black Swastika in the the center, I bought one exactly the same maybe 25 years ago. Also about three months ago another forum member posted one exactly the same, try doing a search on the forum for M-3 helmets and see if you can find the post.

When I bought mine the storyline was they were film studio stock, it may have been a 1950's cheapo production or possibly sci-fi. I gently scraped all the decal off mine, it did me o.k. until I later found a stone cold unused one with a paper sheet of instruction.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Captainofthe7th

I remember the thread that Gen. Apathy is talking about. The decals were added by a film company or a catalog or something either for the sci fi use or becuase kids liked that stuff anyway.

Rob

no i believe these decals were added just like all the ebay auctions state, to show the number of natzi kills the wearer got, and everyone who ever wore an m-3 only ever got 2 kills, but they didnt tally them next to each other they put one on each ear flap...... lol

brandon_rss18

Yeah, I agree with the statements as being added post war. I have never seen or heard of any swastika decals being added to the ear flaps for any reason whatsoever. Also cant think of any reason the US would produce a kill decal that would say Wehrmacht on them as that means army in German. If it said Luftwaffe that would make more sense, but it just doesn't add up. Other than that though, it is a very nice example of an M-3.

Yeah, I agree with the statements as being added post war. I have never seen or heard of any swastika decals being added to the ear flaps for any reason whatsoever. Also cant think of any reason the US would produce a kill decal that would say Wehrmacht on them as that means army in German. If it said Luftwaffe that would make more sense, but it just doesn't add up. Other than that though, it is a very nice example of an M-3.

Actually Brandon, "Wehrmacht" was the name used to designate all the armed forces of Germany including Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine and Heer(Army).

However, I still agree that the decals were post war additions. ;)