Stokes Mortar Question

GLCC74

I am curious to know the paint scheme and markings for WW1 U.S. Stokes Mortar rounds. I have seen quite a bit on the English made versions, does anyone have any information on this? Thanks in advance.

Robin yours looks like it actually might be a faded blue, since it says practice.  The markings are consistent to what I've seen on others.  The only original non-dug "live rounds" I've seen have had battleship grey paint and black text.

Looks like Canfield has a brief primer on the painting schemes in his article here: 

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/smortar.htm

Interesting!  With the flash it does indeed look blue. No text on the body anywhere?  Robin's example is righteous, a true beauty.  I wonder if yours was a late US production example that never got the markings, towards the end of the contract after the war had already ended or something? 

Those look great. I'd love to find one for my collection. I have an old range pick up that's rusted/pitted pretty bad and no fuse. I still like it. Any markings on the ignitors? The one I have only has "Winchester" on it. I'm curious if the practice versions had anything back there at all.

I don't see any markings on the ignitor. I am restoring a rusted version, most likely similar to yours, where its missing the fuse head and pitted. I do resin casting, so I made a fuse head for it, turned out pretty good.  

An original practice round from 1927. It still has the sand loading inside the body. The body finish is a very dark blue under bright light, looks black colored otherwise. I would imagine that the original paint/color pigments used, have been changing/fading over the last 100 years.

02EDBCC1-B783-4ED4-9AB0-DCA634A0C4BC.jpeg

44B996C3-29FF-47D4-A47F-55783A4A5A88.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's all three that I own. They all have that forest green paint, but the one at far left also has traces of blue, which was applied before the stencils.

stm1.jpg

stm2.jpg

17 hours ago, GLCC74 said:

Very Nice! I have not seen so many nice condition rounds before, I am so used to seeing the dug versions. 

Likewise, way more experienced with dug ones! Yours are fantastic Robin! I wonder if the paint on them was lead, and faded to a green/grey from blue?  

image.png.40a3a35f3c75841d96338702b179f18c.png

• 3 weeks later...

If Robin wants to be my photo go-between again:  I have a large copy of US ORDNANCE-  MARKING OF TRENCH MORTAR SHELLS & FUZE  (It also lists the paint formula)

TRENCH WARFARE SECTION 

DEC 7 1918 

illinigander