Task Force 201 187th Airborne

vzemke

I noticed the talk in the recent 7th ID Airborne tab thread about the airborne units of the 24th ID and the 1958 US intervention in Beirut. I didn't want to hijack the other thread so here is an interesting tab/scroll that came to me in a rather large collection of WWII-1950's patches I got this past fall. It has been sewn to something at one time.

I have never seen another like it before. I have no reason to believe its fake but someone might disagree.

Really must be a forgotten part of US Army history as "Task Force 201" only turns up one related hit when googled...

Appreciate any comments or other info on TF 201,

Thanks,

Vance

post-781-1234245689.jpg

-Ski, they do look simlar at first but the the lettering and border are still quite different, and mine has been sewn on something at one time (always a good sign but no guarantee). The back of mine looks like a muslin type material. Maybe it was sewn onto a tour jacket of the type that used to be popular for GIs in Europe? I still don't believe its a fake or fantasy, first because the unit (TF 201) is almost unknow it wouldn't have the appeal of a VN Ranger scroll. Second, the only fakes in the collection it came in were some standard 1950's made for collector "patch king" types. Anyone one else every seen one of these before?

Vance

Here's one I have on the right shoulder of a 24th ID shirt. If you want, I can rip it off and take a photo of the reverse.

Kurt

post-322-1234313605.jpg

LOL!!!!

Well, that's the first one I've seen, so now I know! Great example Kurt!

-Ski

• 2 years later...

The patch shown here was made as a souvenir of the 187th Airborne Infantry Regiment's (aka the "Rakkasans") participation in Task Force 201 in Operation Blue Bat in 1958. The 187th was part of the 24th Division's Airborne Brigade at that time and lost one member killed by a sniper.