Assmann Command Pilot wing.

David B

Hi all,

I've been given these very nice German made Command pilot wings by Assmann and I was wondering what was the significance of the 320 mark?

It's a shame about the missing pins but still a handsome looking wing nonetheless.

Many thanks in advance 

Dave

20210918_142608.jpg.9560d4dcb913b5ac785e509269f5b58d.jpg20210918_142624.jpg.9568c1c09880513978fb46d5cb4f2491.jpg20210918_142707.jpg.bb393f93ff7634d0a3e0610cbefb6cdc.jpg20210918_142719.jpg.568d80e125def3fd4242a70647868eb4.jpg

The company F.W. Assmann and Sohne was a German insignia maker for the 3rd Reich and made numerous TR badges that were all very high quality. After WWII ended Assmann pivoted quickly and began making US insignia of all kinds for the occupation forces. The letter 'A' with the extended crossbar and wide feet is their hallmark and the the 320 is a catalog badge number. For example: 321 is the Senior Pilot badge and 322 is Basic. There are many others. Assmann badges are of particular interest to me. I believe Assmann continued to make US insignia through the end of the Korean war era and perhaps into the late 1950's.

Thanks for replying TC, it's very much appreciated! 

I'm a long time collector of III Reich militaria so recognised the Assmann logo but I had no idea about the 320 mark, so many thanks for filling in that gap in my knowledge :-)

Such a shame about the pins but it still displays very nicely.

You are most welcome. What I find especially appealing about Assmann badges is their attention to detail and fine workmanship.

Even though they are not made of sterling, I am drawn to the extra attention they put into each badge they made. They seem to stand out when compared to similar insignia. They also made 1/2 size US badges (also called shirt size) as well as military rank insignia and parachute jump wings. I am still looking for a few of their combat badges myself.

Assmann made both pinback and clutch back insignia. From my observations, I believe that the pinbacks were made early on after WWII and the clutch backs came later just as the US Military was transitioning from pinback to clutchback insignia. The pinbacks I have encountered are mostly on rank insignia and unit crests and the clutchbacks appear on breast badges. Here are a few examples:

IMG_2469.jpeg

IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_2470.jpeg