WW2 EGA on Current Officer's Dress Blue

TLeo

While doing some "browsing" I saw this photo of a Marine Officer wearing the WW2 style EGAs.  I remember a few years back that Gen. Pace had worn them but it looks like others are wearing them as well. I wonder if it was a special occasion or being allowed in general use.

thumbnail.jpg

I wear Korean-era sterling Senior Pilot Wings and my Father-in-law’s Vietnam-era Jump Wings on my current Air Force Service dress. I also replaced one of the side buttons on my wheel cap with my grandfather’s from Korea. While the Marines are far stricter in regards to uniforms, my guess is that as long as the insignia still matches the one currently prescribed, you could wear older versions. Or at least get away with wearing older insignia. Older insignia almost always looks superior to what you can currently get at the PX/BX/NEX.

Friar

I'm kind of surprised that he's able to get away with wearing the vintage insignia. I remember when Gen Pace wore them that there were some people who got worked up over it. But he was a four-star and it's rare they get told what to wear... 😄 Marines are sticklers for making sure their insignia is "right". I know @Brig can probably shed more light on this.

When I was on active duty, my senior grade cover was made by Pasquale during WW2 and the hat device was a BB&B with the Pre-1941 right facing eagle's head. It was (and still is) a cool hat, I will admit. :) 

This is probably a pic of the Silent Drill Platoon Commander.   He's authorized to wear General Smith's vintage dress EGA collar set.  This is mentioned in Briuer's reference book.

Those are 1920s-30s EGAs...very difficult to find in a condition such as that, I have been trying for a uniform restore for years. My guess is Spearhead is right, the photo looks very much like a ceremonial official propaganda photo.

Any other pictures of him? The silent drill team commander is a Captain billet, so if any have rank, that would assist.

That said, we are not authorized to wear old patterns, though it usually isn't noticed except for inspections. I know one of our members would wear WWII officer collars at the birthday ball before he retired. I used to wear a flat-black painted WWII enlisted cover emblem on my campaign cover when I was a marksmanship instructor, as an experiment to see if drill instructors really have the attention to detail they claim to.

Spoiler alert, they don't

I did some searching and it looks like it is the drill team commander. I came across a couple other pictures searcng "silent drill team". Thanks Spearhead and Brig.

130624-M-FY706-373.jpg

191124-M-GU107-105 (1).jpg

In 1969, In USMC Basic School after OCS, I wore my dad’s emblems on my dress blues and was told I couldn’t wear them.  I was told that I didn’t have a “fouled” anchor.  

So being a rebel, I went to the hardware store, bought some silver wire and wrapped it around the anchor. I’m not sure anyone ever noticed, but I never received any comments after that. I only wore my blues a couple of times after that.