First-Aid Packet Carlisle Model “Carlisle bandage” a different angle

dmsusuki

8 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

As mentioned by Dustin above, an example of the U.S. Navy contract small battle dressing, Carlisle model, with N140S contract prefix and 2-396 stock number. The contract ran from March to August 1942:

IMG_3431a.JPG

I like the background of the dressing :)

General Apathy

Individual Dressing Packet U.S. Army. . . . . . . . . . .

These are my earliest non-metallic bandage packets, The ten-pack carton is dated July 26 1917, the individual bandage is dated Aug27th 1918. If anyone has further information on these styles or patterns please add it to the thread, thanks

.fullsizeoutput_d5be.jpeg.ae90d9de5668c0bc375189c2646902f8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d5b6.jpeg.f99d0397802e3d136594b149d40d2554.jpeg

Thanks, a very interesting thread, 

regards lewis.

4 hours ago, Maxrobot said:

Some items I have.

102_4306.JPG

The dressing you have pictured here is post 1947, we can tell by the stock number configuration starting with 2-. It could be confused with WWII Navy stock numbers but they do not use a third sequence of a serial like seen here

4 hours ago, Maxrobot said:

• 2 months later...

Thank all the forum members that augmented this thread.  A lot of great images as well as great information.

thank you

dmsusuki

• 3 months later...
pararaftanr2
On 9/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, dustin said:

I do not have a collection of these to make any real physical observations.

I wonder if the orange looking packet actually contains sulfanilamide, as per specification it should?

I wonder if it just a Mfg. variation which would explain color differential assembled as per the April 1942 specs.

450353639_carlisle2.jpg.6a381f421e33d9bb9b56646c0097e397.jpg

EDIT; I guess my answer is kind of answered here if the original inserts when packet was opened. (Note right orange looking packet)

1367310010_carlisle3.jpg.c542263c4003d94f765a59ea130a07c3.jpg

As Dustin has told us in post #8, Amendment-G of 24 April 1942 calls for the packets to be "dipped in a vermilion lacquer". We here have variously referred to examples being painted "orange", "red", "burgundy" and "maroon".  A trip to the www for a definition of "vermilion" tells me it is an "orange-red", or a "red-orange", but a visual search shows how many different shades can fall under the broader definition of "vermilion". See image below. I would submit that Dustin's speculation in post #11 is correct and what we are actually seeing is just two different manufacturer's interpretations of "vermilion" with the Johnson & Johnson products being more toward red while Bauer & Black is more toward orange, but technically speaking, both are actually "vermilion".

Vermilion paints (1).png

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, Pep said:

Sorry did not read that closely enough.

If I read the title of this post "First-Aid Packet Carlisle Model “Carlisle bandage” a different angle"

I know now my pictures are quite relevant as they are the first Carlisle bandages made for use in the Army and so marked as "Carlisle Model" just like the US Govt marked ones.

They post date the model 1907 tins and predate the US Govt tins.  These are a very important part of the individual bandage development and should not be missed.