Looking for WWII Helicopter stuff

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Some oddballs there!

I'm really looking for R-4 and R-6 related uniforms, patches, photos, etc. There were ten units that actually flew helicopters in-theater, so there's gotta be some stuff out there.

Jon

Cobrahistorian

Hmmm.... there's no edit function?

Anyhow, here's my Aircraft Repair Unit A-2 patch. Not 100% on its authenticity, but I'm fairly certain it is original. I'm hoping to get confirmation at lunch today when I meet with NASM's curator of Rotary Wing Aircraft. He's also a WWII helicopter buff.

P2180287.jpg

P2180288.jpg

A While back I ran into a former WW2 ETO nurse. At one point she mention casualties being flown in by helicopter. I asked if she didn't mean Korea

"No I do not!" she said. She did not go to Korea in any case, and gave a very believeable story of having those early helicopters bring in patients near the end of the war in Germany.

Cobrahistorian
A While back I ran into a former WW2 ETO nurse. At one point she mention casualties being flown in by helicopter. I asked if she didn't mean Korea

"No I do not!" she said. She did not go to Korea in any case, and gave a very believeable story of having those early helicopters bring in patients near the end of the war in Germany.

Jon,

I'd love to talk to you further about that! Not sure when I'm going to be up in the New England area next, but I definitely want to hear more. It's been a while since I've gotten to the Lowell show (we met there back in 2000) and I think I'm about due for a run back up that way.

I haven't heard of any helicopters being used in the ETO other than possibly with one of the ETO-based Emergency Rescue Squadrons, which were strictly in littoral areas.

Take care!

Jon

Jon, You know you have too many photos when... I bought these off eBay not too long ago and forgot I had them. They show R-5 43-46650 at an "Air Power for Peace Power" display. R-5 appears to be in factory stock finish. It looks like the display is in the desert somewhere.

DSCN5012.jpg

DSCN5013.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

I've done a little looking through my records and the R-6A above served with the 4th ERS on Guam before moving on to Japan. It left the US on July 11th 1945.

Jon, I'm interested in hearing more about this nurse you mentioned. As far as I have seen and the records indicate, no USAAF helicopters made it to the ETO until probably 1947 at the earliest. There's a small chance they may have been British Hoverflies, but even that I'm not so sure about.

Jon