Question about Thompson mags

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

A few years ago a friend of my brothers had some bayonets that he had inherited and wanted to sell. I went over to buy them and I came home with this USMC Thompson pouch along with a few bayonets. I was wondering if there is anyway to date the magazines? There are no dates on them and two of them were made by Colt and have U.S-30 CARTRIDGE-CAL. 45 on the side. The third one only says that it was made by Seymour Products in Connecticut. Are these WWII era? Any help is appreciated.

post-1412-1234233614.jpg

The magazines are WWII-era. Aside from the markings on yours dating them as WWII-era magazines, Frank Iannimico's American Thunder states that with the end WWII and the end of Thompson production (and it's relegation to second string after being replaced by the M3) Thompson magazine production also ceased.

Greg Robinson

Seymour Products also manufactured the 30 round magazines adopted late in WW2 for the M1/M1A1/M2 Carbine. I would expect Thompson magazines either made by Colt or for them to be very early mfg.

Those 30 round magazine USMC pouches were made in 1944 and saw limited use during WW2.

Colt didn't make any 30 round magazines. XXX/30 round box magazines were made strictly for military contract and intended for the M1 Thompson.

Colt produced approximately 15,000 of the Model 1921A and '21 AC (and converted a few of the '21s to the semi-auto Model 1927.) At the time, the magazines available were the L drum (50 rd drum), the C drum (100 rds), the XX box magazine (20 rd) and the 18 round shotshell magazine. This same selection, minus the 18 round shotshell box magazine and the C drum, was available throughout the production of the Model 1928 Thompson. With the introduction of the M1 Thompson in 1942 a number of steps were taken to reduce the cost of the Thompson; among those steps was the elimination of the of the slots that accomdate the drum rails. Due to the M1's inability to accept a drum magazine the XXX (30 rd) box magazine was created to help balance any [perceived] disadvantage in comparison to the '28's ability to accept both box and drum magazines.

Manchu Warrior
Colt didn't make any 30 round magazines. XXX/30 round box magazines were made strictly for military contract and intended for the M1 Thompson.

Colt produced approximately 15,000 of the Model 1921A and '21 AC (and converted a few of the '21s to the semi-auto Model 1927.) At the time, the magazines available were the L drum (50 rd drum), the C drum (100 rds), the XX box magazine (20 rd) and the 18 round shotshell magazine. This same selection, minus the 18 round shotshell box magazine and the C drum, was available throughout the production of the Model 1928 Thompson. With the introduction of the M1 Thompson in 1942 a number of steps were taken to reduce the cost of the Thompson; among those steps was the elimination of the of the slots that accomdate the drum rails. Due to the M1's inability to accept a drum magazine the XXX (30 rd) box magazine was created to help balance any [perceived] disadvantage in comparison to the '28's ability to accept both box and drum magazines.

I could not get a good photo of the manufacturers name on the side but I assumed that it was Colt. I assumed it because the manufacturers name has a a big capitalize C with other letters inside and I assumed, I did not have my glasses on, that it said Colt but I guess I assumed wrong. I have since put the pouch back in the hole that it came out of and it is to much work to dig it back out. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

The "co in C" mark is for Crosby Co of Buffalo NY, which made 1.8 million 30-rd mags starting in Jan 1943.

They had also made 20-rders. You might check to see if your Crosbys have had the front edge lip at the top ground down. Once in service, there was a problem with about 35% of the new Crosbys, as Crosby did not know that the interior dimensions of the then-new M-1 were changed from the M1928A1. The arsenal fix was to grind down the lip a bit.

Manchu Warrior
The "co in C" mark is for Crosby Co of Buffalo NY, which made 1.8 million 30-rd mags starting in Jan 1943.

They had also made 20-rders. You might check to see if your Crosbys have had the front edge lip at the top ground down. Once in service, there was a problem with about 35% of the new Crosbys, as Crosby did not know that the interior dimensions of the then-new M-1 were changed from the M1928A1. The arsenal fix was to grind down the lip a bit.

I honestly believe the mags have never been used and I saw no sign of any grinding or usage. I appreciate the information. Thanks!