Frog Skin M65?

Specwar762

I recently purchased this M65 field jacket from Omaha Surplus in Ft Worth, TX and was looking for some more information about it. 

I’ve yet to see anything else like it. The tag is very faded but looks like a tag seen on early 70s era M65 jackets. Does anyone know what it is? Milsurp or was this a commercial jacket?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

48 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

Hunting 

where was the hood ?

So it’s a commercially offered jacket?  It’s got to be old for sure. I didn’t realize they used similar tags on the inside on commercial jackets. 

I took the pictures a few months ago but I believe the hood is under the collar like the military jackets. 

I really wish someone with the experience maybe like Owen or Bob Chatt would put together a reference on vintage military hunting clothing. Many times these even have milspec labels in them or they use wartime fabric. This is clearly a beautifully executed copy of the M-65 field jacket sewn in Haiti with US material.  I love this area of collecting actually and have a few pieces sewn with ARVN camo. That is a killer price you paid as well. Definitely would've picked it up as well. 

Also, any suggestions on washing it?  It’s pretty dirty. 

If I can wash and dry it at home using low heat, I may do it. The tag shows 100% cotton 

8 hours ago, Specwar762 said:

So it’s a commercially offered jacket?  It’s got to be old for sure. I didn’t realize they used similar tags on the inside on commercial jackets. 

I took the pictures a few months ago but I believe the hood is under the collar like the military jackets. 

I've noticed that companies that sell Surplus store type commercial uniforms often put bogus "military looking" tags on them with things like wear instructions or spurious NSN or item numbers.  It's part of the object of trying to make them look "authentic" and "military."  

BTW I remember seeing M-1965 "field jackets" in blaze orange being sold in the hunting section of K-Mart in the mid 1980's.  Anyone else remember those? 

7 hours ago, Specwar762 said:

Also, any suggestions on washing it?  It’s pretty dirty. 

If I can wash and dry it at home using low heat, I may do it. The tag shows 100% cotton 

Please do not throw this in a washing machine and just use low heat. Wash it by hand in cold water and rinse with cold water a few times. Trust me it will get out the funk. Then hang it to air dry. I typically wash old uniforms by hand, in a tub, gently with Woolite or Foca - can get it al Lowes, Wal-Mart etc. Contains no phosphates and is very gentle on older cloth materials. 

The EMAR zipper is French by the way. 

These retail to the Buzz Rickson / Rag & Bone crowd of stick legged hipster for between $225-249. They are believed to have been made in the late 70s. 80s versions will have a woodland camo interior. 90s models will have a vastly different label, quilted OD interior, and are no longer 100% cotton exterior and interior and are a poly-cotton blend. 

Here's the label in one that has the duck hunter camo exterior and woodland interior from the 80s. 

dhp3.jpg.97c072809f72fe7f79cdc0e932ed8d54.jpg

8 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

These retail to the Buzz Rickson / Rag & Bone crowd of stick legged hipster for between $225-249. They are believed to have been made in the late 70s. 80s versions will have a woodland camo interior. 90s models will have a vastly different label, quilted OD interior, and are no longer 100% cotton exterior and interior and are a poly-cotton blend. 

Here's the label in one that has the duck hunter camo exterior and woodland interior from the 80s. 

dhp3.jpg.97c072809f72fe7f79cdc0e932ed8d54.jpg

Yep that’s definitely made by the same company. Is there any definitive answer for who made them, or was it just one of those no-name products on a shelf being sold in the 70s-80s?

6 hours ago, Specwar762 said:

Yep that’s definitely made by the same company. Is there any definitive answer for who made them, or was it just one of those no-name products on a shelf being sold in the 70s-80s?

There was a push by the US in the 70s and 80s to develop Haiti into an economic supplier of goods and services to the US in the same way Taiwan had emerged with electronics and which China ultimately took over the lions share of. Its not just the M-65 style jacket the Haitians produced. They also produced a wide variety of consumer military styles like flight jackets and many other goods. Still going on today, run by the US State Dept and IMF. 

Hopefully a better vintage label will surface.

This is what the labels look like today. 

images.jpg.02785180acc296b26ea0f4c06a369e74.jpg

2 hours ago, kammo-man said:

What about the hood

fyi 

I am working on a 50s / 60s hunting reference 

owen 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Definitely different shades of material for the inside liner.

spacer.png

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 9/16/2021 at 7:07 AM, Specwar762 said:

I am having a hard time reading the label but look for "RN" and then a number, many commerical items have them and if you look them up you can find the parent company, although thats not nessisarily the brand name they were sold as.