Halloween 2021 Warning OP-ORDER Seek & Acquire!!

easterneagle87

Now the bad, I found another pair of ww2 dated pants at the goodwill that are named to someone other than cpl Bassin. Were they part of the same Halloween costume or did I miss another uniform, who knows. 

D4E78562-3D76-41C2-899A-838ADC743F52.jpeg

6D6B829D-816B-43B2-9D9F-307027292E4C.jpeg

And for the good, I found a 1967 dated uniform named to a medical sgt who served in both ww2 and Korea with a lot of theater made parts to it. I havnt been able to track the owner down yet but hopefully soon. It actually still had a second theater made ribbon bar in his pocket which was cool. I do not recognize what his combat patch so if anyone recognizes it please let me know! My best guess is a bullion 6th army group that was made incorrectly. 

DF6A1396-681C-45A5-AB6E-A4C2DE2EF403.jpeg

3B1365AA-2A89-4DD0-A1AE-BE302379C594.jpeg

59A3653B-B7F4-4FE9-8434-174604FD4DC5.jpeg

The honorable mention is a Korean era AF jacket that had also belonged to a WW2 vet. At 50 I don’t think it is at too much of a risk of being a uniform so I decided to let it sit a week and come back for it. Hopefully by then the store should be offering 50% off on costumes.  

E22F3C8D-A4DC-40B7-B165-E6EA87BF3849.jpeg

317A0D4D-7929-476F-AECC-6B05EC20D1EF.jpeg

You guys are lucky.  This is the first year where I haven't seen anything good on the Halloween rack at all this late into October, not even a lowly ACU/BDU.  Not like they had much of a selection out due to COVID anyways.  I did find a couple jungle jackets earlier in September but nothing to write home about.

Well I found another. Normally I try to stay away from navy jumpers but since it was a named minesweeper uniform being for 15$ at a vintage store as a costume I figured this one would be worth grabbing. I need to get an ancestry subscription again to check research it, but I like the chain stitched name.

Additionally, the 6th AG Uniform ended up belonging to an individual who was with the army for almost 40 years in some form or another and I found a picture of him wearing the uniform. The weird 4 pocket turned out to belong to a 2nd Lt who was promoted from Sargent with the 91st infantry. It’s a weird one but an extremely uncommon name and he is the only one in town with the name so it must be his.

51B8B11F-5142-406E-8469-8FE27EE08345.jpeg

C2ECC754-5075-4629-94F4-90A8868EC591.jpeg

D83673A8-E31B-48E5-9EDA-7651E979B52C.jpeg

3ABD0188-480E-4E78-9E24-B0E66BB90E05.png

On 10/8/2021 at 9:08 AM, CavalryCombatant said:

I stumbled upon these jungle boots. 

You might to also post those on our thread on militaria and fashion:

56 minutes ago, Ray42 said:

Normally I try to stay away from navy jumpers

Too bad there's no first and last initials on the DAIGLE hat: the WWII Navy Muster Rolls have 1,905 entries for last name Daigle.

20 minutes ago, Bob Hudson said:

Too bad there's no first and last initials on the DAIGLE hat: the WWII Navy Muster Rolls have 1,905 entries for last name Daigle.

Yeah it is too bad. Thankfully the jumper seems to be named to a J L Steiner which I should have luck with.  I don’t think the hat went with the set anyway. They were pinned together as a set, but unless Steiner ended up with a shipmates hat I think it was added as part of the costume. 

Ray,

Nice uniform pickups.. I am going to take a wild guess and also agree with you that the embroidered patch in post 27 is the 6th Army Group made incorrectly.  

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

• 3 weeks later...
easterneagle87

Well folks, You all gave it a good go and I commend you for your efforts! 

This year may have seemed a little light on the finds, but I'm sure there were some that just got posted to other topics and not accredited for here. Overall, any success is a win in our books! I look forward to challenging you again next year to seek out those finds / saves!

Be well, See you around!

Ben

54 minutes ago, easterneagle87 said:

This year may have seemed a little light on the finds,

Yeah I kind of agree, this year seemed a little off to me because I moved a little, but it is weird that I never saw a single ww2 navy jumper, or of any era for that matter at a goodwill. Normally there are tons of them. 

CavalryCombatant

I would agree, really was rather light this year.  

I found a couple things that I haven’t posted, nothing fancy but a good summer EM service cap was in the mix.

For those planning to go next year, I highly recommend checking out their “wood” section, lots of paper towel holders for a buck or two, make great helmet stands!