Halloween 2021 Warning OP-ORDER Seek & Acquire!!

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Since "Latest Acquisitions" has been taken off line, where to put this???  

OK, here is my annual Halloween Warning Order to SEEK and ACQUIRE posting. Yes!! It is that time of year to recon your local Thrift, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Peddlers Fairs, etc., in hopes of finding those great re-surfacing uniforms and STUFF!!! You are tasked with the defense of making first strike acquisitions against Billy the Nose Picker and the Goth Horde from destroying valued pieces of history! 

I am a man of actions and plan to lead from the front. with that said, I hit my local Goodwill today to scout the potential target rich location. Although the objective was limited, as they had just started putting items out last night, I did survey the rack and found good beginnings, but no nuggets. Continuing my search, I checked the women's head gear bin ( NEVER - NEVER pass up womens hats!! - who else wears berets besides snake eaters?!? - The LADIES!!).  A second glance and I saw a swatch of green. Sadly not a 5th Group VN, and no flash, but a plain jane green beanie. The tag was clipped, but me thinks it is a Denmark rifle green. Stamped 7 - 7 1/8. If I have a treasure, let me know. I was happy with the $3.99 tag and I kicked in the penny for the food bank. But wait ... I'm over 55 (Gosh .. the 13 yr old in me hates to admit the advancement in my age) and got the "old guy" discount as a bonus. there are a couple of scuff on the front and I don't know or can tell if it is wear or moth action. 

Now it is your turn. Happy hunting!          

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

It’s kind of slim pickings in the new town I moved to, but I get a paid day off to travel to get sworn in as a lawyer Friday and I plan to leave early and use the extra time to hit every goodwill and antique shop on my way. Hopefully I have something to show at the end. 

4F89AE1A-49E3-4A24-BC50-15D2A99D0570.jpeg

It varies a lot in Iowa depending on what store you go into. Navy jumpers can be 3-5, most uniforms, helmets, and field gear are 7-9.99. The occasions that I hit the jackpot and find something like a ww2 dress uniform they are normally 19.99. 

CavalryCombatant

Most of the uniforms I’ve seen are $6-10, maybe more if they have pants and a hat.

I’ve had pretty solid luck this year so far- let’s hope it holds.

On my last trip I hit 6-7 stores and didn’t really find much worth grabbing, some Korea and Vietnam era uniforms. But only for stateside divisions. 

I did make a great find at a surplus store, a really great ww1 35th inf div, 110 ammo train uniform with the soldiers paybook. I think it is kind or relevant here because, although it did not come from a goodwill, when I was getting it the store owner said he was glad a collector was getting it and it wouldn’t end up being used as a Halloween costume. It turns out a “young man” had been in and thought it would make a cool costume. 

744C04BD-20AF-4459-B142-B963E5DD99C5.jpeg

CA1E235B-41D9-44B1-BBF8-24A388334ED4.jpeg

09D4BC57-B3EE-406F-9CFB-1776FE452A55.jpeg

DF0D0EB1-D81A-4E81-901F-FE8C227EB0DC.jpeg

These are impressive finds.  From my experience at thrift stores or donation centers, it's an odd dress green jacket with no insignia or an ACU.  Slim pickings.  Your mileage may vary depending on your location of course. 

2 weeks ago I found a 1967 contract date M65 jacket at Goodwill for 20 bucks. I was quite excited because they never have much military. On closer inspection, it wasn't in too good shape, so I walked away. But it's been nagging at me and think I'll go back today for another look..

5 hours ago, mikie said:

2 weeks ago I found a 1967 contract date M65 jacket at Goodwill for 20 bucks. I was quite excited because they never have much military. On closer inspection, it wasn't in too good shape, so I walked away. But it's been nagging at me and think I'll go back today for another look..

I went back and took another look and I realized what was wrong with it.  Someone removed to two chest pockets and the fabric is failing along the seam lines. Otherwise it's in nice shape. I'd buy it as a banging around jacket but it's a little tight and I don't know how to stabilize the cloth where the pockets were. Oh well keep looking. 

One of my local shops had a VN era USMC green dress coat for $6. and another had VN era Navy blue DD top/bottoms for $5....Salvation Army had a WW2 Impressions made Ike jacket with what were likely reproduction Guadalcanal 1st marine patch and brass collar insignia for $40....Somebody eventually bought all three items....Bodes

I always check out the women's hat section of thrift and salvage stores. In the picture, I at lower right wearing that tan round hat I got at a salvage store. It looks like a type seen in photos of Rebels. I had a small part in the History Channel production of "Aftershock - beyond the civil war."

Pic 4.png

Pic 9.png

On 10/3/2021 at 12:35 PM, Maxrobot said:

I always check out the women's hat section of thrift and salvage stores. In the picture, I at lower right wearing that tan round hat I got at a salvage store. It looks like a type seen in photos of Rebels. I had a small part in the History Channel production of "Aftershock - beyond the civil war."

I found a vintage Italian Borsalino fedora in a Goodwill store a few years back....I think it's pre-WW1 and was distributed in a German hat store....Is marked Dresden w/the merchant's name embossed in the sweatband...It's in mint shape and has a small 'v' and a capital 'H' also punched into the sweatband....I keep wondering if the guy was a von something?...Bodes

carrabassett

Not my greatest Goodwill find but at least something. Sharpshooter badge is sterling so a bonus. At Salvation Army they didn’t even have a Halloween section. Good luck hunting!

651B8C43-DEA9-47FF-8EC5-6C6421F5D02B.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

Managed to hit up about half a dozen GW’s yesterday evening and picked up a few things, nothing rare but some decent pieces.  I’ll post some pictures later tonight.

In my travels I stumbled upon these jungle boots.  I thought the forum might enjoy seeing them so had to grab a picture.

Happy hunting guys, stuff’s still out there!

5E6FB5A3-E911-426D-A3F2-01D6E34C335A.jpeg

Oh god that’s a crime against war… 

The new town I’m in doesn’t have much as far as Halloween goes in their goodwills. The best I have found are a pair of ww2 enlisted pants. What happened to the jacket i can only wonder. I’m planning a road trip to hit a bunch tomorrow so hopefully I have better luck then.

9 hours ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Managed to hit up about half a dozen GW’s yesterday evening and picked up a few things, nothing rare but some decent pieces.  I’ll post some pictures later tonight.

In my travels I stumbled upon these jungle boots.  I thought the forum might enjoy seeing them so had to grab a picture.

Happy hunting guys, stuff’s still out there!

Good going...Now I can't stop imagining you doing this at the counter.......

PotableVeneratedDachshund-size_restricted.gif

Well after driving around to 8-9 salvation armies and goodwills yesterday I finally found some decent stuff. I feel like the Good, the bad, and the ugly… and the honorable mention is a good description of that trip. Starting with the ugly I found a ww2 4 pocket jacket that for some reason has two of the short lived combat pfc patches on each sleeve. It is named in several places to a Cpl Bassin, yet seems to have been fairly recently patched to a master sgt. I honestly have no idea what to make of it other than it had been a Halloween costume once before and maybe would be a good research project.

641601E4-9395-4ED4-A511-54D03B3E4A89.jpeg

1E542721-F33D-44C2-AFAC-37D5A878EAB2.jpeg

4AA6C0D0-B4CE-47D0-808D-9C06F382E8D4.jpeg