Small US Marine Raider Code Talker Grouping

Eric Queen

I picked this up years ago directly from Howard Yellowmans niece. Sadly he passed away in 1948. 

I have never seen another Raider Code Talker piece. Just ran across it again yesterday so thought I would post it. 

First is the original training group photo of Marine Code Talkers. I believe this is the second class. 

HTY 1 x.jpg

Photo of Yellowman and another Code Talker on leave. Original V-Mail when he was with the 1st Marine Provisional 

HTY 4 x.jpg

HTY 3.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Glad to read some people enjoyed seeing it. 

YELLOWMAN, HOWARD T.

February 18, 1946

FARMINGTON, Nov. 22 (AP)—Discovery of the body of a 22-year-old Navajo Indian who disappeared almost two years ago was reported tonight.

State Patrolman Andy Andrews of Farmington said the body was found Saturday by Sheriff’s Deputies Pete Fisher and George Huntsman, both of Aztec, on an abandoned rural road about 10 miles north of here.

The body has been identified as that of Howard Thomas Yellowman, who was last seen in Farmington the night of Feb. 18, 1946. He had been discharged from the U.S. Marine Corps about two months before that.

Andrews said the identification was made by the youth’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hosteen Yellowman, who live near Fruitland, N.M. He said the body was badly decomposed, but markings on his socks and other articles of clothing were still readable.

An inquest was held, but the verdict of the coronor's jury was not made public.

Rare & sad.  My father once bought 6 Samurai swords from a Code Talker here in PA.  His was a sad story as well.  

Thanks for sharing Eric.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not trying to overshadow OP even if I could, but I have attached what seems to be a reprint Code Talker group photo actually signed by a code Talker (Begay). I am doing everything I can to help preserve their history because there are only three remaining out of the 400 total. I have read numerous books and have held discussions with fellow Marines aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton CA where most were trained.

There used to be a good display at the Flying Leatherneck Museum at Miramar near the site at Camp Elliot where the original 29 were trained and developed the code, but that has been shut down. The Navajo Nation has broken ground near Window Rock NM for a new National Code Talker Museum. I plan to visit as soon as they are open and may donate some items if they need any. 

Such an original photo as shared by the OP is truly fantastic. Like most others, I will have to settle for a signed reprint.

BA752B35-60A2-4E49-ABD4-3984E4212B13.jpeg

CDEED10A-8376-44E0-A67C-9F8FFB882FB4.jpeg

2A39DB06-C044-430B-9990-DE30A9A03FD8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Dsizzle,

Thanks for posting that great photo. I had not seen that image before. 

Here is another original colorized portrait photo of Raphael D. Yazzie which I found at a local show in San Jose CA 15 years ago.  

RDY.jpg

I also have an original 5 x 7 photo of the Communications Platoon 23rd Marines (I believe on Iwo). Yazzie at far right. 

RDYazzie x.jpg

In 1971 Mr. Yazzie did an interview with the University of Utah, discussing his experiences as a Code Talker, the time he spent in combat, etc. I have the transcription of the interview and they sent me CD of the actual interview. 

RDY 1.jpg

RDY 2.jpg

RDY 3.jpg