WW 1 & WW 2 Marine - medals and precedence, including foreign medals

hiram392

Airborne-Hunter

If I could, I would add agreement to the aforementioned statements:

The yellow foam in the one display is very acidic and bad for the medals.

Polishing/cleaning the medals is bad.

I'd keep the original ribbons and I would not adjust the bars on the Good Conduct too much if at all because there will be holes in the ribbon if you move the bars.

Brig made an excellent statement about properly SEWING down the medals/planchets.

DO NOT TAKE THIS GROUP TO A PROFESSIONAL FRAMER. Most of these services will hot glue or worse super glue the medals to a backerboard. Over time, a lot can happen to the display/frame/case and it could/will need to be redone/reframed/ect. I've had to take quite a few apart over the years, more than I'd like to admit, and the glued ones almost always have problems. The worst of the worst will actually apply glue direct to the back of the ribbons. 

I have removed all ribbons and other items from the foam case.  Am not going to polish any of the medals.  Hoping to get something going on this, but won't do anything until I am sure I have all ribbons/medals he earned.  Don't want to have to do this twice.  Thanks for the input!

• 4 months later...

Trying to clarify rank of my USMC Vet.  I have gold colored and subdued "Gunner" insignias  Was this a Warrant Officer designation?  I also have bars that are equal sections of gold/ red/ gold.  I do not see these in current listings.  I have records from 1946 listing him as a Commissioned Warrant Officer.  Is The "Gunner" a WO designation?  Just not sure.

pins.jpg.5e301c2582045b7faa896f72c8ec6ab7.jpg

If I recall correctly the term "Gunner" was given to a Warrant Officer who received his Warrant Officer designation in a "Combat Arms" specialty such as Infantry, Artillery, etc.

Bill

• 6 months later...

After much research that included several conversations with the National Museum of the Marine Corps, I finally was able to create a presentation for our county’s most decorated service member.  I still have not received requested records from NPRC, but decided to go with what we had in our possession, at our museum.  I also placed his etched mess kit on a small rotating display.  Both were added to display in the museum, last month.  Additionally, this Marine has been selected for induction in the Ohio Military Hall of Fame for Valor, next May.

conversations with conservator at the Marine Corps Museum helped in decision to go this direction.  She said that whatever I did I should be able to undo at any time without harm to medals.  All medals were mounted in a way that the weight of the medal would not cause ribbons to pull or fray over time.

48C95A6B-07F8-47E6-A931-0B5CF753EE58.png

The mess kit was a surprise find at our museum.  It was stacked with a couple others we have received.  I was going through the items and this just caught my eye.  He etched all his locations from his entry at Parris Island through the end of WW1.  He also added dates from his time in WW2.  Bottom of the kit has EGA as well as his 2 Croix de Guerre medals and initials.  Entered the Corps in 1917 at the age of 31.  Received 2 Silver Stars and 2 Croix de Guerre during a period of mid June to the end of July in 1918.  Retired in 1948.  Passed in 1952.

mess bottom.jpg

mess top.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, hiram392 said:

Saw this picture online.  Not sure who he is.  Looks to be a LT.  Dave, posted earlier a list for precedence.  Looking at this photo, I am seeing a different order.  Judging by what I have in hand vs picture I am seeing what I believe to be... Silver Star, Croix de Guerre, WW 1 Victory Ribbon, Good Conduct (rifle above medal?), not sure??, 2nd Division medal, Purple Heart, possibly Battle of Verdun medal and not sure about last.  He also has a French Fourragere braid as well as a 2nd Division shoulder patch.  Maybe I should use this as an example for my display?  Thoughts??

ww 1 picture.jpg

This is John William Parrish