Command Car, NATO Camo?

Brian Keith

Command Car, NATO Camo?

Here is a nice 1942 Dodge Command Car in interesting camouflage. Current owner purchased it not too long ago from the estate of previous owner. Estate sellers knew nothing about it.

Current owner added the Beachwood top and side straps, a couple of reflectors, but it is pretty much how he purchased it.

Note the “NATO” bumper codes. Does anybody know if this is a “real” camo color and if NATO used these?

How about the German DATA tag, look familiar?

This Dodge will be on display at the Indiana Military Vehicle Preservation Association Rally Sept. 17 & 18 2021, at the Jay County Fairgrounds, Portland, IN.  

Thanks for looking, Any info will be greatly appreciated.

BKW

P9140876.JPG

P9140880.JPG

P9140885.JPG

P9140886.JPG

P9140887.JPG

• 1 month later...
General Apathy

Hi Brian,

I would say that this style of camo is North Africa WWII . . . . . . . . . .  Why it should have NATO on it I have no idea.

.46CC296700000578-5128057-image-m-24_1511949512596.jpg.5b5a995db22ddcbafa66e951460f6c71.jpg

regards lewis .

Charlie Flick

Hi Brian:

I suspect that your WC-56 served post-war with the Swiss military.  The Swiss ended up buying a lot of WW2 era US vehicles.  Many have since been imported back to the USA.   I understand that both German and French languages are official languages in Switzerland which would account for the data plate languages.

The paint job is fanciful and probably not something utilized by the Swiss.  Same with the "NATO" bumper marking.  And what function would such a NATO marking serve?  The Swiss were never part of NATO so I think that bumper marking was added after it left Swiss service.

I hope that info is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie 

(Former owner of a WC-53 and recovered Dodge nut)

General Apathy
22 hours ago, Charlie Flick said:

Hi Brian:

I suspect that your WC-56 served post-war with the Swiss military.  The Swiss ended up buying a lot of WW2 era US vehicles.  Many have since been imported back to the USA.   I understand that both German and French languages are official languages in Switzerland which would account for the data plate languages.

The paint job is fanciful and probably not something utilized by the Swiss.  Same with the "NATO" bumper marking.  And what function would such a NATO marking serve?  The Swiss were never part of NATO so I think that bumper marking was added after it left Swiss service.

I hope that info is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie 

(Former owner of a WC-53 and recovered Dodge nut)

Hi Charlie.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on the data plates, personally I have never seen Swiss data plates on ' American ' trucks before, I do know that the French, Belgians, Dutch and Norwegians all bought ex US vehicles at the end of the war.

Here's another fanciful paint job done on a 1940 Dodge VC-1 command car in American use, where it served I have no idea, and they were quickly superseded in 1941 by the half-ton Dodge Command car and then by the three-quarter ton WC Command car models. . . . . . . .  

.fullsizeoutput_e031.jpeg.bb48ef2c5d8fe68577678d80298b0f3a.jpeg

regards lewis.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 5:38 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Charlie.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on the data plates, personally I have never seen Swiss data plates on ' American ' trucks before, I do know that the French, Belgians, Dutch and Norwegians all bought ex US vehicles at the end of the war.

Here's another fanciful paint job done on a 1940 Dodge VC-1 command car in American use, where it served I have no idea, and they were quickly superseded in 1941 by the half-ton Dodge Command car and then by the three-quarter ton WC Command car models. . . . . . . .  

.fullsizeoutput_e031.jpeg.bb48ef2c5d8fe68577678d80298b0f3a.jpeg

regards lewis.

That could possibly be from the 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers where different camouflage schemes were tested, or a similar exercise.  Some of them were pretty wild.