Canteen cover

Vanderbilt

6 minutes ago, numbersix said:

It looks like a British 1944 Pattern waterbottle Cover, is there a pocket on the rear, inside?

....hmmm, yes there is a pocket on the inside.  It's still almost too clean. 

This Pattern webbing was not widely issued as far as I know, I have a 1944 Pattern belt that is near mint condition and the pouches and haversacks turn up in mint confition too. The waterbottle Covers are quite saught after. I think Canada had a similar Pattern webbing at one stage.

CavalryCombatant

These are harder to find used then they are mint in my experience.  I know a different European country used a similar pattern canteen cover in the 1950’s and 1960’s but can’t recall which off the top of my head.  

My money’s on british P44- nice find! 

.....huh, so, you're saying this may be a more desirable piece than I imagine. Honestly, I fabbed a hanger and was going to use this with an early Mills belt for GAF EEM shoots. Pair it with a 1910 canteen and cup (if the cup will fit). 

20210913_082119.jpg

CavalryCombatant

Is it rare probably not, but definitely not the most common canteen cover.  Depending on what you were planning to use it for, a later run USGI cover might be a wise choice.

2 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Is it rare probably not, but definitely not the most common canteen cover.  Depending on what you were planning to use it for, a later run USGI cover might be a wise choice.

......not reenactments. We shoot GAF preWW1 matches a couple times a year. Figured I was in this cheap enough to carry a canteen. I carry an 1898 Krag and claim NG as my shoot persona. Seems prewar NG was a mixed bag of equipment and uniforms (or lack thereof). I got cotton prewar clothing, seems we rarely do these matches unless it's 85° or warmer! I plan on acquiring an 03 Springfield at some point. At that point, I will need a different belt and upgrade to a more correct canteen cover. This is a case of substituting temporary economic brevity for the sacrifice of authenticity.

GAF: Grand Army of the Frontier-we do shoots in uniforms and with cartridge weapons from the era of 1866 thru 1900. The EEM : Expansion Era Match is an side match we shoot covering the era from 1900-1916. Our main emphasis is the shooting, you can gain extra scoring points with the uniforms. Being correct is up to the individual. If you choose to carry a non period bag/haversack  for brass or a later canteen for hydration. That's not held against you. You can shoot the EEM with select earlier weapons that were still carried into the early 20th century. Some uniforms or pieces of uniforms carried over as well. Sometimes the match director makes a call on a weapon or clothing article. Even then, you will still shoot. Misses don't count, unless the individual calls for it, then it's a time penalty at the end of your match. Same for clothing, wrong uniform or no uniform is subject to a time penalty. Many are ultra competitive and want top spots. Most of the rest of us enjoy putting together uniforms of the period and popping steel with these old rifles and carbines. As well as enjoying the fellowship and tall tales.