Study of Imperial M3 Handles

SKIPH

Sitting around bored with TV, and no desire to do yard work. Thought I'd show newer collectors Imperial M3 leather handle varieties. Imperial started out like the other makers, with 8 groove, square cut handles. At some point during guard marked production (as far as I can tell), they switched to a 6 groove, square cut handle. Late production M3s were fitted with a 6 groove "V" cut handle. Note that the top M3 has 2 black spacers, 2nd has a reddish-brown, and the last has reddish -brown& black spacers. Top M3 no stamps other than a crossed out ordinance stamp. Second and third have crossed out ordinance stamps, and ground off guard stamps. All three came with M6 or type scabbards, with one an unmarked questionable (Milsco), the other a stamped over L&C, the third is like one pictured in Bill Walter's book. Check out the picks, good chance to study up. Once again picks turn upside down, tried to fix 3 times sorry. Imagine pics reversed to line up with narrative. SKIP

20210912_153530.jpg

Its not clear to me what you mean by "late production M3's" , but to my knowledge there were no (original) WWII era M3's ever made with V cut grooves In the handle .

Collector 2- Thanks for turning the pic around. You'll have to explain it to me and everyone else if you can.

byf41- It was a ground out guard marked, which could have been a PX, or Post War with handles made from M4 contracts, that is what I met by late production. Basically not sure what else to call it.  It is kinda unique don't see, or have any others. SKIP

Hi Skip:

An interesting subject.  I will do whatever I can to save you from the tyranny of yard work.

While not directly relevant your mention of the variations in the colors of the plastic end spacers caused me to think of my Imperial "M3-style" private purchase knife.  This one is almost certainly post-war and made from left over M3 parts.  It appears to have the V-shaped grooves cut and the fire engine red end spacers.

The blade markings are the customary post-war Imperial markings.

And it came to me many years ago with this well constructed black leather sheath.  I doubt that the sheath is original to the knife but I liked it so much I never wanted to change it out.

I am not sure what conclusions we can draw from my knife, but taking the pics and posting this kept me away from my own yard work which, like virtue, is its own reward.

Regards,

Charlie

Imperial M3 style ed.jpg

Imperial M3 style markings ed.jpg

Imperial M3 style with sheath ed.jpg

CavalryCombatant
58 minutes ago, SKIPH said:

Collector 2- Thanks for turning the pic around. You'll have to explain it to me and everyone else if you can.

byf41- It was a ground out guard marked, which could have been a PX, or Post War with handles made from M4 contracts, that is what I met by late production. Basically not sure what else to call it.  It is kinda unique don't see, or have any others. SKIP

Hey skip!  If you have an IPhone or Ipad I can show you how to turn pictures really easily (it’s super simple and takes under a minute)

And pardon my extreme ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by a V-cut handle?  The only thing I can imagine is possibly the way the grips are stacked?  

CC

CavalryCombatant-  Sorry, I don't have an I-phone or Ipad.  Look closely at the handles 2 of the M3s have square cut grooves (like a piece of wood after sawed), the other the grooves are cut in a "V" shape. Note the top of the handle silhouetted against the towel, 6 "Vs".  SKIP

20210912_153812 (2).jpg

Will do my best at describing how to rotate photo's, but like many things its easy once done a few times and only takes a couple of minutes.

Right click on photo on screen (opens small window) over photo.

Left click on "save image as".

At bottom of screen find "File Name" usually a long number ending in .jpg.

Put curer in front of .jpg and backspace everything else out but must leave .jpg

Then add what you want, example M3 to make it M3.jpg and hit save, this will now send photo to your saved photo section on your computer. 

Go to your photo's, find your new photo M3.jpg.

Right click on photo which will open "preview" window on screen.

You can now see where to rotate your photo or do several other options. Click "rotate" to right your photo.

Once photo is right way up you can close photo,s and your photo is ready to upload back to where you want it.

If possible it is best to edit (crop or rotate) photo on the iPhone or iPad that you took original photo with first before uploading it to your computer, if that is the way you do your photo's.

Have fun.

Cheers

Collector 2- Have to try this out. My problem is I can rotate pics in my files, and the camera, but unless I take the pics upside down for posting on this web site. No problems on facebook or any where else. Weird!  SKIP

CavalryCombatant

Missed your response initially, but thanks for clarifying.   Took me a moment but I can see what you’re talking about.  Would the same be true for M4’s produced by imperial?

CC

CavalryCombatant- I have 2 Imperial "V" cut handled M4s, and so far that's all I have seen in hand, or books. Bill Walters has a prototype pic in his book that has square cut grooves, so there could be some production versions.  SKIP

Skip,

Here's what happened when I saved your three M3s picture. I flipped them around in my file, then came here to post your pictured.....up-side- down!  Last year or so, you posted a great pic of your 1905 bayonets with some great leather scabbards....up-side -down, of course.  I tried the same thing then and got the same result as this time.  Weird is right!

Marv

m3.jpg

Marv- Glad it's not just me. Only thing I can figure it has something to do with the transfer from my cell phone to computer.  I reverse them in the photo library. and can send them in an email just fine.  It just happens on this site. I just have to take the pics upside down, and reverse them after I post here. Honestly, this is how my life with new technology constantly flows. Always an issue of some type.  LOL!  SKIP

FYI Gang!  Just saw another Imperial "V" cut grooved handle M3 on our for sale  page under the edged weapons section. Again, this one is  an unmarked Imperial w/ brown spacers. I's been sold, but a chance to see another.  SKIP