Army M45 suspenders in marine use vietnam

coolman

go to youtube & type "Marine Corps Fortifications Dong Ha Air Base Vietnam" M14E1s with bipods & at the end of the video 2 marines the left one with Army M45 cargo & combat pack suspenders & the right with army M56...U.S.M.C M41s aparently were not much appreciated when in real action the year is 1966

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAOwXCB6dL8

yes, they are using M45 combat suspenders and M56 combat suspenders thumbsup.gif

no need to waste money on USMC suspenders when I already have the correct M45 & M56

the M56 probably traded for cigaretes or a bottle of whiskey with an army guy...the M45 is stolen from a U.S.M.C. PRC-10 carrying harness...that was a common practice & all the radio harnesess left incomplete & useless-that's why later they lace em up on infantry plywood packboards...all the M45s stolen bc they were comfortable & used as combat suspenders against any official regulation

Page 158 in the book NAM: A PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY by Leo J. Daugherty and Gregory Louis Mattson has a really good picture of a Marine wearing M45 suspenders. Tomorrow I will try to take a picture of it.

i'v seen at least another one picture of a band of marines..one guy of the band with M45 suspenders to the OSPREY ELITE SERIES *UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS 1945 TO THE PRESENT*...the M55 vest is on top of everything but the front zipper is open so you can see clearly the M45 suspender undreneath & a WWII M1942 1st aid pocket is hanging on the M61 BELT...It is 1966 the M45 suspenders was very desirable but they were not many around so it's not an easy spot on period photographs..were they came from? from PRC-10 radio harness or traded with ARVN troops for cash or cigaretes ..it's more easy to spot M56 ones or M41s with or without packboard pads

craig_pickrall
heres a Marine wearing M45 suspenders arriving in Vietnam 1965

What is your source of info that says this is a Marine? It looks like an Army GI to me. He is wearing an Army shirt and carrying a Ridgeway cap in his hand.

What is your source of info that says this is a Marine? It looks like an Army GI to me. He is wearing an Army shirt and carrying a Ridgeway cap in his hand.

Thats what I was thinking. It looks Army to me.

LARRY BURROWS VIETNAM page 94 - 95

The 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines landing team arrive at Da Nang air basr aboard c-130 cargo planes flown from Okinawa. March 8, 1965

post-1885-1234397749.jpg

the army personel in nam never had M45 equipment & their helmet covers allways had band helmet camouflage unlike the marines that had truck inner tubes or most often just no band at all

two ARVNs walk across a log, the first guy has M45 suspenders, the guy behind him has M56 suspenders, both have M1 Garand rifles and cartridge belts.

M45 suspenders was standard equipment for ARVN even long after the adoption of the M16

M45s & M56s used alongside in ARVN units were was also a mix of guns within the same unit..M16s M1s & M2 carbines

i'v seen very many pictures of marines in vietnam with para liners but never an infantry soldier with one...i dont know how they ended up with the marines...

I remember seeing a picture of a Marine wearing M45 suspenders in Hue during Tet 1968. I believe it was Col. Ernie Cheetham, 2/5 Marines Bat. CO. I'll have to go check my book...

I remember seeing a picture of a Marine wearing M45 suspenders in Hue during Tet 1968. I believe it was Col. Ernie Cheetham, 2/5 Marines Bat. CO. I'll have to go check my book...

M45s in marine use in nam is not the rule...i'm not trying to say that M45s was the rule...is an exeption to the rule but they are ok for nam-M45s is not an easy spot & were far from universal but some times you can see some marines with those...i dont know in witch extent they were available in the early 1965-66 period but i think in the same extent as the Army 56s...needless to say that i have never seen in my entire life an Army guy in nam with M45s...you can see them only to the advisors period & later to advisors attached to ARVN units but never to the regular Army.and when i say never i mean it!!! strictly M56s to the regular army!!!

From the collecting point of view i think is perfectly correct to use a M45 on a marine nam manequin without spining on your bed at night having nightmares esspecialy here in europe were the M41s are hard to find while the M45s are very common...some purists will say NO..but photoraphic evidence proves otherwise

• 2 weeks later...