M1911 Pistol?

GLCC74

Hello everyone, I am trying to find out more about my newly acquired M1911 pistol. Ok, so here is what I have so far. I will describe that stampings and markings in case the pictures do not turn out well. Starting with the slide. It is marked Springfield Armory USA. Date information reads: patented April 20, 1897, Sept 9, 1902, Dec 19, 1905, Feb 14, 1911 Colts PT. F.A MFG CO. Towards the rear of the slide it has a flaming bomb inspection stamp, and above it, a partial broad arrow stamp (I suspect this was a lend lease at some point?). Opposite side of slide has a partial visible stamp of the eagle, above that and slightly to the right is a BNP stamp with a crown (again, makes me believe it was in British use at some point). Further right it has: Model of 1911, U. S. ARMY. Inside the slide there is a letter Z.

The Barrel has the following on the left side: PX-1 and S and P in the lug area. No other markings are visible. 

The frame has the following markings starting on the left side. United States property, Springfield eagles head inspection stamp with S12 below that. Right side has a serial number: 399045, which when I look this up, comes up as colt made from 1918. So did Colt supply frames to Springfield? 

So, my question is, is this a Springfield pistol? Is it from WW1? Any information is appreciated. Just trying to learn more is all, thanks in advance. 

IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

IMG_5534.JPG

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

IMG_5523.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

So it's a Colt M1911 (receiver) with a Springfield Armory slide.  The mark over the flaming bomb looks like a Canadian acceptance mark, but the picture isn't that great.  The crown over BNP is a British (or Commonwealth) proof mark.  I don't see any British or Canadian marks on the receiver.

A typical mix-master put together after WW1, but no idea when or where or by who.

Thanks for the replay, I figured as much. The broad arrow towards the rear of the left slide might be the Canadian "C" with the broad arrow inside, but its partially worn off to tell. 

The Ordnance bomb with bullseye in the center and the milling cuts to the slide are correct for a Springfield slide. The BNP marking is a British Nitro Powder Proof marking as I recall. Possible with this proof it was released from service if I read correctly and sold as surplus and Nitro proof marked by British law to ne sold by various Arms dealers.

Appears its been refinished in service at some point as Springfield were originally chemically blued. 

The BNP  stamp with crown would be used from 1954 and after by the Birmingham Proof House 

The barrel was made by Springfield Armory.  That number is a heat lot number.  The SA pistols were originally rust blued.  It is impossible to tell from pictures but I think your slide may be original finish.  That is the Canadian broad arrow stamp on the slide.  The frame is a Colt, of course so the pistol is more properly referred to as a Colt with a SA slide and barrel.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, GLCC74 said:

Yeah I like it, finding a 100% original WW1 issue M1911 is going to be really hard, not to mention expensive, so for me this works. 

A nice looking 45 and as they say it is what it is. Something you can enjoy. Personally the 45 auto is the iconic pistol to own. The design and history have ensured this classic will last and has stood the test of time. I have seen the CMP pistols and has opportunities to purchase a couple but have passed. They are a nice pistol in their own right but what some value them at is beyond  what I will pay. I have a w examples and couple would be considered "correct" it doesnt bother me the others are not. Its part of the history and I like them for what they are. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2021 at 2:36 PM, GLCC74 said:

Yeah I like it, finding a 100% original WW1 issue M1911 is going to be really hard, not to mention expensive, so for me this works. 

This WWI Colt (1918) is correct and it’s got the “been there done that” look to be 103 years old.

Back to the OP, did Springfield just make replacement slides for rebuilds?  Nice looking 1911!

1BAB615C-0306-4B33-8FC1-2F2E5D80BF56.jpeg

F5D3FF39-2E68-4DFF-AF9F-573020A4889E.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, BryanJ said:

This WWI Colt (1918) is correct and it’s got the “been there done that” look to be 103 years old.

Back to the OP, did Springfield just make replacement slides for rebuilds?  Nice looking 1911!

1BAB615C-0306-4B33-8FC1-2F2E5D80BF56.jpeg

F5D3FF39-2E68-4DFF-AF9F-573020A4889E.jpeg

Nice 1911. I really like that been there done that look to all the early 1911's & Government model 45 acp's. My government model pic below. I have the Colt letter for this one. OP nice 1911!

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg