WW2 M-40 Army Dog Tags issued to 1st Marine Division Guadalcanal through Cape Gloucester, 11th Marines

usmc1981

I was hoping someone could add to the story of the likely field issue M-40 dog tags to the Marines of the 1st Division.  Thus far what little information I've combed through is that there might possibly be an 11th Marine connection with the issuance of these Army tags in late 43 at Cape Gloucester.  I have see thus far 2 tags of this type belonging to a Battery A & C 11th Marines.  The army tag I recently purchased belonged to Sgt, Edmund Joseph Zulkoski Battery D, 1st Special Weapons Battalion, 1st Marine Division.  Although Sgt. Zulkoski does have an early 11th Marine association with Battery E, by the time of Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester he was serving with 1st Special Weapons, Battery D. assigned or supporting, or temporarily detached to the 7th Marines.

I was hoping someone could add some insight on the issuance of these tags to the US Marines.

This tag and shooting badge came from an estate in Scranton, PA.  

Born: 13 Oct 1921 - Dickson City, PA  Died: 29 Oct 1987 - Scranton, PA

Son of Frank and Anna Zulkoski.

Enlisted: 25 Jan 1940 - New York, NY  Service #281354

Muster Rolls:

Feb 1940 - Mar Barracks, Rec Dep, Parris Island, SC (Pvt)

Mar 1940 - Mar Bar, Naval Powder Factory, Indian Head, Maryland (Pvt)

June 1940 - Mar Bar, Naval Powder Factory, Indian Head, Maryland (Pvt / PE Clerk)

Jan 1941 - Barracks Detachment, Marine Barracks, Naval Operating Base, Norfolk, VA. (PFC / 24, Jdfr MB NPF, Indian Head, Md. 28, to lat Mar Brig, FMF, NS, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, via USS GEORGE F. ELLIOTT, 28 sailed fr NOB, Norfolk, VA)

July 1941 - Bat E, 2nd Bn, 11th Marines, FMF, MB, Parris Island, SC

Oct 1942 - First Special Weapons Bn, 1st MAr Div, FMF, c/o FPO, San Francisco, CA (CPL / 1-31, temp detd with 7th MAR, 1st MAr Div, FMF: 2, arr and disemb at Oro Bay, New Guinea)

Jan 1943 - c Batry, 1st Spl Wpns Bn, 1st MAr Div, FMF c/o FPO, San Fran., CA (CPL)

April 1943 -  Battery D, 1st Spec Weap Bn, 1st Mar Div, FMF c/o FPO, San Fran., CA (CPL)

July 1943 -  Battery D, 1st Spec Weap Bn, 1st Mar Div, FMF c/o FPO, San Fran., CA (SGT )

Jan 1944 -  1st Spec Weap Bn, 1st Mar Div, FMF c/o FPO, San Fran., CA (SGT / Battery D - 1-6, temp det d with 7th Mar, 1st Mar Div FMF; 24Dec43, emb aboard LST (unknown) at Oro Bay, New Guinea and sailed, 26 Dec43, arr and disemb at Cape Cloucester, New Britain and participated in offensive and defensive operations against enemy (Japanese) forces. )

Apr 1944 -  Battery D, 1st Spec Weap Bn, 1st Mar Div, FMF c/o FPO, San Fran., CA (SGT / 11, Exp enl; Char Exc; Recomm for GCMed; No time lost, Held ?7 days CofG first enl.)

Jan -July 1945 - H and S Co, Inf Trng Rgt, Trng Command, FMF, Camp LeJeune, NC (SGT)

Oct 1945 - 83rd Repln Draft, Staging Regt, Mt and RC, SIM, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, CA (SGT / 26, qual as ER)

Jan 1946 - 26th Prov Mar Co, Mar Garrison Forces C/o FPO, San Fran., CA (SGT)

Apr 1946 - Mar Bar, Nav Op Base, Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, C/O FPO, San Fran., CA (SGT)

Jul 1946 - Mar Bar, Nav Op Base, Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, C/O FPO, San Fran., CA (SGT /

Apr 1947 - Mar Air Casual Squ, 11 USMCAS, Cherry Point, NC (SGT / 28, jdfr, MB, NOB, Subic Bay, P.I., Navy #3002; 9Mar47, emb abd and sailed fr Subic Bay, P.I. via USS BRECKENRIDGE; Arr and disemb at San Francisco, Calif., 14Apr47; 15-22Apr47, tenp d, Hq. DafP, San Francisco, Calif. awtg assignment; 23-28Apr47 enroute.)

Jul 1947 - Mar Air Casual Squ 11, Cherry Point, NC (SGT)

3.jpg

Most of the examples I’ve seen of this USMC tag on army stock are from the 11th Marines. However, I’ve also seen 1 from the 1st Marines and another from the 7th Marines, leading me to conclude this was a practice that occurred across the 1st MarDiv, but mostly in the 11th Marines. They are generally stamped in the same way, as seen in your three posted examples. There is also an iconic photo someone posted on the forum of a kneeling 1st MarDiv marine on Peleliu wearing one clearly around his neck. Most are also 1943 dated, indicating they were probably made when Marines returning from Guadalcanal or preparing for Cape Gloucester needed re-issues. I’ve seen dates from 41 and 42 also, but not 44 or 45 (as of yet, anyway).

I don’t know that this is all accurate, but these are my conclusions based on the half dozen examples I’ve seen and their T-dates. I’m sure other dog tag guys can add also.

16 hours ago, cperkins510 said:

Most of the examples I’ve seen of this USMC tag on army stock are from the 11th Marines. However, I’ve also seen 1 from the 1st Marines and another from the 7th Marines, leading me to conclude this was a practice that occurred across the 1st MarDiv, but mostly in the 11th Marines. They are generally stamped in the same way, as seen in your three posted examples. There is also an iconic photo someone posted on the forum of a kneeling 1st MarDiv marine on Peleliu wearing one clearly around his neck. Most are also 1943 dated, indicating they were probably made when Marines returning from Guadalcanal or preparing for Cape Gloucester needed re-issues. I’ve seen dates from 41 and 42 also, but not 44 or 45 (as of yet, anyway).

I don’t know that this is all accurate, but these are my conclusions based on the half dozen examples I’ve seen and their T-dates. I’m sure other dog tag guys can add also.

cperkins510, thank you for the following response to my request.  Do you have any photos of the tags you mention above?  All help is greatly appreciated.  Would love to see the Peleliu image.

Here is the thread with the Peleliu photo in it: 

The 7th Marines example was from a memoir by Tucker Giblin of that outfit. It had a photo of some of his gear, including the tag in this style. I think it was actually on the cover. Called “The Class of ‘42: Marines in WWII”. I don’t have photos of the others, but I did own an A Company, 1st Marines one in the past, and it compared perfectly to the 11th Marines ones in the reference photos you posted.

15 hours ago, cperkins510 said:

Here is the thread with the Peleliu photo in it: 

The 7th Marines example was from a memoir by Tucker Giblin of that outfit. It had a photo of some of his gear, including the tag in this style. I think it was actually on the cover. Called “The Class of ‘42: Marines in WWII”. I don’t have photos of the others, but I did own an A Company, 1st Marines one in the past, and it compared perfectly to the 11th Marines ones in the reference photos you posted.

Great info cperkins510.  Thank you again.