Help to Identify Period Correct 1943 Boyt 1911 M3 Holster - correct hardware?

texnairsa

Hi,

Just purchased  this 1911 M3 Boyt holster.......The holster itself is stamped Boyt 43, but I don't know if the  button, snap and buckle are original or correct for the holster....

I believe the buckle is post WW2 ( Korea?) and I've seen the snap stamped with "one dot" and others with out on various WW2 issued M3's and M7 holsters

Any clarification would be appreciated 

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

Hello Tex:

Welcome to the Forum.

You have a very nice example of the M3 holster.  Although an eyeball examination would be required for me to be 100% certain, I am confident that your holster is USGI and original in all respects.  The Conway buckle is the correct buckle for your holster, assuming that it is blackened brass and not steel. 

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! Wealth of info on these posts

my concern or confusion is related to the buckle

I’ve seen Conway buckles that are more oval in shape vs the one I have 

I.e 2 different styles….. mine is blacken steel and thinner and more rectangular 

the blackened brass ones are more oval in shape,  shallower and the cross piece  is flatter and wider

I guess what I’m trying to find out is if both Styles of Conways are period correct (WW2 issue) or is the steel one from a latter time -Korea or later? 

Tex:

Rather than relying upon my memory to answer your question I just pulled out 10 WW2 era M3 holsters, a mix of Boyt and Enger Kress made holsters.  All of the E-K holsters had the oval style of Conway buckle.  The Boyts had a mixture of oval and square buckles.  All were steel rather than blackened brass.  Not very scientific, I'm afraid, with a small sample size.  I note also that the Ordnance Department drawing for the M3 holster shows a square buckle. 

My opinion is that your buckle is correct and USGI.

Regards,

Charlie

Awesome Charlie! really appreciate you going to that length to verify

this puts my mind at ease!

I am building a 1911 tribute display to my father who was a bombardier navigator on B17s in WW2

probably being a little an@l retentive but I want all items to be authentic and original down to the last detail

again thank you so much for your efforts and response 

Tex