Identify Ribbon Bar - Vietnam Era

billl

I'm new to this, so can someone help me identify these ribbons?

I recognize National Defense, and the two from Vietnam, and the Good Conduct ribbon,

but the others...

This arrangement was in the pocket of a USAF jacket that I was given. He seems to have served sometime in the 1960s.

Also, a bunch of other USAF clothing, including boots, shirt, ties, jacket, etc. I don't collect USAF but I want to learn this stuff.

20210909_182337.jpg

Outstanding Unit Award, "Army" Good Conduct , "Air Force" Good Conduct, National Defense Service, Vietnam Service, Longevity Service Award, Small Arms Expert Marksmanship and Vietnam Campaign Ribbons.

He must have been in the Army in 1947 when the Air Force was formed to have both good conduct ribbons.  

Hey Bill!

The top ribbon is an Outstanding Unit Award, the one right at the bottom of it is the Air Forces version of a Good Conduct ribbon, and the last two are the AF Longevity service ribbon (along with the 2 oak leaves signifies he served 12 years of honorable service), and AF small arms expert ribbon. Hope this helps.

The Air Force continued to award the Army Version of the good conduct medal until their version was created in 1963. So he certainly served in the late 50s but his service most likely did not reach back to 47. If it had he should have more oak leafs on his longevity ribbon and a oak leak on the National Defense Medal for service during Korea.

Friar

His name was Raymundo Tegio, of Filipino extraction.  I think he was born 4/14/36, passed 4/13/21, served in middle and late 1960s, based on the contract date on the field jacket that I got. Thanks to all for the help.

Hello

I like your ribbon bar.

Something I have always been interested in is when I see Vietnam (and Korea) Service medals without service stars. What is the significance of this? 

Thanks

Jim

• 10 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 9:25 PM, FriarChuck said:

.... a oak leak on the National Defense Medal for service during Korea.

Friar

Wouldn't that be a "star" vs "oak leaf" on the NDSM?  I don't know about Korea, but normally stars are awarded for multiple periods of national defense.