1909 Custom Tailored 6 Button CAC Coat

This little fellow is one of my favorite uniforms from this period.  I have 1902 U.S. Army enlisted dress uniforms with cords, chevrons and service stripes that are more attractive and desirable, but there is something about this coat that just tugs at me.  Maybe because the Coast Artillery got the "scraps" when the army rolled out a new uniform that it appeals to me so much.  When you can't have a new 1902 dress uniform with six buttons, then you alter a five button "old" style, or have a new six button coat custom tailored.  After all a soldier likes to take pride in his uniform appearance.

There are several solders in this unit photograph that are wearing a six button coat.  This photo is not dated, but the unit is clearly wearing the 1902 visor cap.  I can't make out the unit numbers.  The back of the picture has "38th U.S. Field Artillery 1907" written in pencil, and in no way aligns with the insignia on the uniform.  I will leave this to you Coast Artillery guys to straighten this out. (please forgive the glass glare in the photo)

CAC uniform 1 - 1.jpg

CAC uniform 2 - 1.jpg

CAC uniform 3 - 1.jpg

CAC uniform 4 - 1.jpg

Great looking variation of a 5 button.  You may have already researched him, but I think that this was worn by Rudolph E. Steiner. I know the spelling is slightly different, but much of the info on FOLD3 fits him. 

3 hours ago, BEAST said:

Great looking variation of a 5 button.  You may have already researched him, but I think that this was worn by Rudolph E. Steiner. I know the spelling is slightly different, but much of the info on FOLD3 fits him. 

Thanks Beast.  I have never done research on him, but would like to know his service history.  I added the badge for display purposes.  It was not with the coat.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, I have yet to find a 6 button CAC sack coat with 1902 buttons.

I have seen these worn, alongside 5 button coats, thru at least 1915.

Seems pre 1910 the 5 button is more prevalent in the CAC, then after 1910 you see more 6 buttons. I believe the 6 button coats that are issue Ive seen are 1909 or 1910 dated.

The 1908 style 1st Class gunner sleeve insignia dates it to about that time.

However the 1st Class Gunner badge pictured was worn 1903 to 09.

Does it have any markings on the back?

Thanks agate hunter.  Yes, the 1st Class Gunner badge is marked to 88 Company # 55.  I added it to the coat for display purposes, but it belonged to a soldier who served in 88th Co. C.A.C. from March 25,1902 to March 24,1905. It is a nice badge, and doesn't look like he ever wore it on his uniform.