M6 sheath details?

john k

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Viner Bros M6 in unused or almost unused condition from a seller I believe to be reputable .  Once in hand I noticed some details that seemed unusual to me, and I asked the seller, who suggested I post it here to get input on my questions.

Pic below is the sheath in question on the right and an older one on the left (various differences between them, similar to the ones pictured in Bill Walter's M3 and M4 book, on pages 105-106)

IMG_1944.jpg

My questions are about the leather on the top, back, where it wraps around the wire belt hanger.  The one I'm asking about has the edges cut at 45 degree angles.  I thought they were normally rounded, and not cut at an angle.  Should I be concerned about this, or is it just a variation I haven't seen before?

IMG_1945.jpg

And my other questions are about the eyelet on the bottom (color and shape seem odd to me, again perhaps just a variation?)

And also the corners on the metal plates front and back.  I'm used to seeing them just slightly rounded, but these are quite square, almost sharp.  Again, just a variation?

IMG_1942.jpg

I would be concerned. Yours looks like the one shown on Frank Trzaska's M6 Reproduction Recognition page, (towards the bottom). The top 4 rivets look different than the ones shown in Bill's book and Frank's M6 page also.

M6_Sheath (usmilitaryknives.com)

M6 Viner Fake 0043.jpg

1 hour ago, mikedon said:

I would be concerned. Yours looks like the one shown on Frank Trzaska's M6 Reproduction Recognition page, (towards the bottom). The top 4 rivets look different than the ones shown in Bill's book and Frank's M6 page also.

M6_Sheath (usmilitaryknives.com)

M6 Viner Fake 0043.jpg

I looked at this again and I could be wrong. Bill shows 2 variations in his book with 2 different types of rivets. Yours does not have the hole at the ends of the belt loops like shown on Frank's page. The stitching on yours at the hanger looks coarser than shown in Bill's book though. Also, like you said, the metal plate and eyelet look different. The logo on yours does not look blocked stamped like the one with the same rivets shown on page 105 of Bill's book.

To my eye my sheath in question looks to have rivets similar to the example on P.105, and a stamp more similar to the one on P.106 (Bill Walter's book).  I was thinking mixed features was probable.

It's hard to see in the pics, but in hand "The top 4 rivets" seem a little bigger and more chunky.  I was thinking that they likely would get worn/battered down pretty easily in use so I wasn't so uncertain about that.

Thanks for the input.

As already stated there was 2 versions of the Viners bros. M6 sheath , but the one In question Is not one of them . These were only made for a short period of time but the construction and materials used were very consistant  . 

Hey Gang! Been looking at this M6 a couple of days. Here is my 2 cents. Agree about the rivets being wrong. Here's what caught my eye, the stitching between the rivets that hold the M1910 belt hook in place. The one in question has 6, large spaced,  where the original,  and one in Bill Walter's book, have 14 tight,  small stitches. Just my opinion, but I believe it's a fake, very well done.  SKIP

I'm skeptical also.  Although there are unissued M6 examples out there, I just don't see this as a 78 year old piece of leather and hardware.

Most of the reproduced M6 sheaths are made on the cheap.  However, there have been several sources of quality products from different places over the years.

Frank Trzaska's, Reproduction Recognition Page,  has been one of the few places to refer to to compare some of the copies with original pieces.  

1 hour ago, sactroop said:

Frank Trzaska's, Reproduction Recognition Page,  has been one of the few places to refer to to compare some of the copies with original pieces.  

As mikedon noted earlier, I believe an aged example of the sheath in question is shown in the third row of pictures up from the bottom.