Wool Marine Corps Raider Patch USA or Aussie? USMC

usmc1981

Is there anyway to determine if this is the American manufacture wool Raider patch or the Australian?  Any idea when this patch was available for sale to Marines?  Thanks in advance.

s-l1600.jpg

21 hours ago, KurtA said:

Cheesecloth backing on 1940’s era embroidered on  felt patch is just about always U.S. -made 

Thanks KurtA

The cheesecloth has some sizing added to it which makes it stiff and helps the cheesecloth to stick to the felt during the embroidery process. Think of the sizing as a very low tack glue. This sizing will go away when the patch is washed, so you can find two patches made at the same time that have a different feel and appearance. 

Often times, when the patch is sewn to a uniform, this cheesecloth will be trimmed down so that it doesn't show along the edges where the patch is stitched to the uniform.

Your patch is typical of this type that are found with some frequency. The skull is referred to as a "Casper" since it looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost's head.

Allan 

1 minute ago, Allan H. said:

The cheesecloth has some sizing added to it which makes it stiff and helps the cheesecloth to stick to the felt during the embroidery process. Think of the sizing as a very low tack glue. This sizing will go away when the patch is washed, so you can find two patches made at the same time that have a different feel and appearance. 

Often times, when the patch is sewn to a uniform, this cheesecloth will be trimmed down so that it doesn't show along the edges where the patch is stitched to the uniform.

Your patch is typical of this type that are found with some frequency. The skull is referred to as a "Casper" since it looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost's head.

Allan 

Thanks Allen,

I guess the siizing is kind of like starch.  Makes sense,  I appreciate your response.

Chris,

For what it's worth I agree with all that Allan has said. To me the patch is 100% original and as it should look. 

Amazingly I don't this variation has ever been reproduced. Or at least I have never seen one. 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:13 AM, Eric Queen said:

Chris,

For what it's worth I agree with all that Allan has said. To me the patch is 100% original and as it should look. 

Amazingly I don't this variation has ever been reproduced. Or at least I have never seen one. 

Thank you Eric,

I wasn't aware these were not reproduced.