1890s US Cavalry Mills Belt Rigs

Hello,

Here are a few more of my military belts.

The first belt rig is a enlisted man's rig that I grouped with other soldier items, It includes a:

Model 1894 Mills cartridge belt that holds 100 30-40 Krag rounds and 12 38 LC rounds with a model 1886 Whittemore US H pattern plate attached to it.

Model 1892 38 DA holster (third pattern marked Rock Island arsenal with EHS inspector initials). and

Model 1885 Jeb Stuart saber attachment (marked RIA)

The second belt rig is an officer's mills pistol belt rig. It has a mills patent US plate attached to it. It holds 45 38 LC rounds. It has a Model 1892 38 DA holster (third pattern marked Rock Island arsenal with EHS inspector initials) accompanying it, Missing the saber straps

1890s cavalry belts 2.jpg

1890s cavalry belts.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 1.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 5.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 3.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 8.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 4.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 7.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 6.jpg

1890s cavalry belts 9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Love this stuff. But since I know you want to be a stickler for authenticity - those blue Mills Krag belts were never worn by regulars with US plates. Never. The fastening system - the patent - is that C catch wire or 'buckle.' On each side are the sheet brass adjusters. BTW the blues Mills belt became in 1895 the regulation belt for dress, guard etc. duty for both mounted and foot troops. Away with those Hagners. In 1900 the blue color Mills were replaced by the tan or khaki color ones. Talking regulars here. The reason various US plates show up on these belts nowadays is because they  - and woven web belts of the period  - were pretty low value to militaria collectors until about the 1980's. Old catalogs and I think even going back to Bannermans the plethora of US plates and woven belts paired together made them easier to sell. I used to see at shows etc.  Span Am contract and genuine Mills belts paired up with plates to the point a noob would probably think thats the way they were used. That even made its way into the collector 'books' ...argh....but thats a rant for another day. 

Hello CAC1901,

Thanks for your detailed comment and information. I have the C closure for the blue Mills belt. It actually came with it. I changed it out with US plate because I have a couple of reference books showing the blue Mills belts paired with the brass 1886 US belt plate. I guess I was one of those noobs but now I know. The reason I joined the forum was to learn more about my collection. 

Thanks for providing detailed comments and answers to questions for my other postings too. I appreciate the time and effort you taking to respond. 

Based on CAC1901's comment, I believe the enlisted man's Mills cartridge belt is now a correct representation for US army soldiers.

updated cavalry 1894 belt.jpg

Looks great. And right. Mounted troops didn't like those heavy tall plates for obvious reasons. This was the reason for the 1886 modification - adding a leather tongue and small open frame buckle (sometimes called an 1885 cav belt). Regular army used that 1886 tan Mills until issuance of the Krag upon which this belt replaced it.