Anyone have an ID to this one AAF ???????

Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor

Here's an odd one and Unofficial I'm sure, on an AAF leather flight jacket, would appreciate it if anyone knows what unit or if nose art/personal type , thanks :) 

Johnny

Unknown (6).jpg

Johnny - I came across an image very similar to this one back in 2007 when I was researching Battle Colors / Vol. IV. It was reputed to

be the unapproved emblem of the 344thBG(H), 98thBG(H), Fifteenth AF, the problem I had then is the same one your having now...

a poor image. Your attachment is somewhat better then mine, but neither provide enough detail to accurately recreate this design.

The best I could come up with is a rabbit sitting on a cloud, chewing a carrot and dropping an aerial bomb.

I've got me fingers crossed that someone will post a better image of this insignia

Yardstick _ This the best resolution of this patch I've ever seen. Many thanks for posting it.

Now we have to try and nail down the squadron of origin. The transfer of both air and ground personnel from one

squadron to another was not uncommon during the war, but if the airman to whom this A2 belonged served his entire

tour of duty with the 301stBS, while not conclusive in itself, would be a pretty clear indicator that this design may in

fact have originated with the 301st Bomb Sqdn, but while this still does not qualify as empirical evidence regarding

origin, we are defintely closer to solving this small mystery.

Kudos once again for your posting.

301st BG not BS but agree 100% on the point about transfers.  Johnny's image seems to suggest an affiliation to the 344th BS, directly contradicting the providence of my example but both are 15th AAF units which is consistent with the Italian incised style.

Also don't pay much attention to the colours on the patches I posted - they were clearly rather crudely overpainted at some point by the original owner.  Unfortunately I didn't keep any of the other photos of this one and can't recall where the images came from (possibly eBay a couple of years back).  I would place much more reliance on the colours in Johnny's OP.

On 9/12/2021 at 6:56 AM, Yardstick said:

I've had this in my unknown pile for a while.  It's pictured on a jacket attributed to a gunner from the 301st BG, 15th AAF.

Unknown_Bugs_301st BG.jpg

Thanks for posting this one, looks to be the same patch but with a title instead of unit number, possibly he was with the 344th at one time as mine was titled that , or the person just liked the design and used it for nose art/personal type patch as the 344th was with another Group