Vietnam Dog Tag Help RA Number & SS Number

mds308

Here's one I haven't seen before.  There is a prefix of MC next to his last name.  The tag has an RA number with his SS number.  I know the MC is not for Marine Corps.  Perhaps Medical Corps?

How common are dog tags with both numbers?  Thanks for the help.

IMG_6738.JPG.08064922b016eee4d14baaf5da283255.JPG

I appreciate this information that I already had.  I'm still trying to figure out what the MC prefix means and why does the tag have an RA number and an SS number.   Anybody know this?  Thanks again.

I believe that you are looking at a soldier named McReynolds- https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/dailypress/name/stephen-mcreynolds-obituary?pid=152774608 so the MC that you are asking about isn't Medical Corps, or Marine Corps- it is the beginning of his name! As for the duplicate numbers- the tag appears to have been modified after it was originally punched out with the RA number. The army left service numbers and started using the Soccial Security Number during the Vietnam war, so the soldier just had the SSN added to the tag.

Allan

Thanks Allan and thanks again to Edelweiss.  I don't know how I missed the Mc.  Maybe it was due to the MC and not an Mc.  Or maybe I'm a little slow at times.  Now that you mention it, you can see the SS numbers are smaller than the original RA numbers.  In fact, the S in the O POS strike was counter stamped with the 5 from his SS number.  The second tag is a lot cleaner looking.  I appreciate the extra help.