WW2 Chaplains song book chest

robinb

Craigslist find today. Originally held 150 song books. Named on top to Captain Will Hett O-93138. Not positive about the name though.

chap1.jpg

chap2.jpg

chap3.jpg

chap4.jpg

chap5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very neat piece! Camp Lucas was in Michigan's Upper Peninsula near Sault Ste Marie. It was actually the small arms range area for Fort Brady which protected the locks on the US side of the St. Mary's River. Fort Brady still exists as Lake Superior State University. If you ever decide to part with it, contact me as Michigan's Military Heritage Museum would be very interested and we have the hymnals!     Scott

Thanks for sharing! That is super interesting! Never thought how they transported stuff like this!

• 2 years later...
FortOrd66

Hello Everyone!
I can shed some light on the history of the box. I was born in Fort Ord, where my grandfather, (mother's side) at that time Lt. Col (later Colonel) William R. Hett was the Chaplain.  My grandfather was born in Wisconsin, and entered the service as a Chaplain before the outbreak of WWII.  He was involved for the entirety of WWII, mostly in the Pacific, but after the war, as a Captain, he was put in charge of the Nurnburg district during the occupation for 3 years.  He was also Chaplain during the Korean and Vietnam wars.  He retired 2nd Chaplain of the US Army in Monterey (Del Rey Oaks) and was minister of Church of the Oaks there for 22 years and served over 25 years in the rotary club there. He did over 1,500 weddings during his time in Monterey, but even though my wife and I were married in his church, it was a few years after he passed away.
I have pictures if people are interested...All the best, George Kucera

robin, is this the hymnal that would have gone in that chest? i looked everywhere for a date, but there is none to be found. the front cover and spine both say "armed forces hymnal", but that's all. here are two pages that might be helpful in your answer. there are three sections, catholic, protestant and jewish.

70024444-B0FE-43D4-B70A-BF3F66BB8965.jpeg

0750F2E9-E9AF-4B0F-8659-A3089CE506D3.jpeg