Vietnam War Equipment - Unusual items

Constabulary

I have a couple of unusual Vietnam era items. I´m pretty sure the items are original.
Maybe some one can help me with some more information.

M-1936/1956 Postol Belt
M-1936 features: button for magazine pouch, one adjustable end.
M-1956 features: horizontal wave, 1967 dated, ball fastner

post-2-0-15087700-1407033219.jpg

post-2-0-54193700-1407033220.jpg

post-2-0-84059300-1407033221.jpg

post-2-0-32294800-1407033230.jpg

M-1961 USMC Pistol Belt
Ununsual wave canvas, zink alloy M-1936 fastner, regular press studs.
impossible to adjust size w/o removing the slides.

post-2-0-35238900-1407033586.jpg

post-2-0-98600100-1407033587.jpg

post-2-0-36134200-1407033589.jpg

post-2-0-77567600-1407033596.jpg

Any explanations for these items?

I have a couple of unusual Vietnam era items. I´m pretty sure the items are original.
Maybe some one can help me with some more information.

nothing unusual-both belts are legit-what you have is a last production M36 belt dated 1963 as i can see...that's the latest date of these belts i'v ever seen...using M56 sliders bc that was the slider of the 60s-beautiful belt by the way...your second belt is a surplus WWII waveless M36 belt modified some time in the late 50s for marine use by adding snaps for M1 carbine pouches...these belts are disquished before and according to some evidence they'v been used alongside the normal M61 ones in nam as they can acomodate M14 pouches also..the snaps are positioned much closer than on the M61 belt but still does'nt make a difference as they are still functional for M14 pouches.

Thanks you - I have not heard of waveless M-1936 belts yet. But its an interesting information

The other belt is 1967 (!!!) dated - not 1963. It clearly is a 7 not a 3
Stamp looks like DSA-100-67-xx49
The FSN number is not clear...

I find the pattern and the date quite unusuall because in 1967 the vertical wave has been introduced already.

post-5069-1234190893.jpg[

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=160

Follow this link and you will see lots of info on your belts.

aaaah - thanks thumbsup.gif

But the M-1936 pattern belt makes no sence... or does it? think.gif

@ Craig

I also have seen the Japanese made commercial belts - I also have one or two of them - so I can safe further questions on them

One even is made of nylon and has a DAVIS marked buckle. I guess you have one of these as well, right?

Any chance that you have a vertical wave M-1961 belt you don´t need any longer? :)

I only have a pretty beaten one.

I also have seen the Japanese made commercial belts

The commercial web belts are very easy to tell from the real thing: the fabric is much, much more flexible and the hardware has an obvious cheaper look and feel and often some rust (I've never seen rust on the hardware on the GI issue belts).

The other belt is 1967 (!!!) dated - not 1963. It clearly is a 7 not a 3

Stamp looks like DSA-100-67-xx49

The FSN number is not clear...

I find the pattern and the date quite unusuall because in 1967 the vertical wave has been introduced already.

post-5069-1234190893.jpg[

That belt is unusual to be dated 1967 for an M1936 style belt. I'd also like to hear some thoughts on this one.

That belt is unusual to be dated 1967 for an M1936 style belt. I'd also like to hear some thoughts on this one.

I have ones dated 1964, 1965/66 [i am on the hunt for a 1963 dated one!] - all with the same M-1936/1956 features. I also have a 1965/66 dated one that has the old M-1936 "T" male/female buckle [instead of the round male M-1956 LCE buckle] but it has the M-1956 "stepped" adjustment keepers. It appears old stocks of the older buckle were still being used up to manufacture the belt.

This individual equipment belt has been discussed a number of times. It is possibly either a US Navy contract item or its procurement was continued for officer or MP use [those armed with a 1911]. The lastest dated M-1923 magazine pocket [with male snap on rear [NOT belt-strap keepers] - to attach to these type belts] I personally have is 1963 [it bears a different FSN than the ones with M-1956 belt-strap keepers].

8465-255-8415.jpg

it is possible that belt to be a marine contract...the marine officers or marine personel armed with pistols "mortar teams etc"retained the M36 belts in nam & ther's alot of photografic evidence to suport that

marine items of the era are marked much like all the other army items...DLS100-67...etc. & it's hard to tell the difference between army or marine items-so there's a posibility to be a very late marine contract...the last ditch M36s just a thought as i dont think there was a shortage of old WWII surplus M36 belts in the US army of the 60s so i dont see the need for new made ones...

as on the other snap belt i'm sure that there is a pic of a marine in nam with this strange belt-that pic is on the OSPREY MEN AT ARMS SERIES an old book in 2 or 3 series abt nam uniforms& equipments...i dont have it so if anyone has it pls take a look & if i'm wrong & that's a normal M61 pls correct me... thumbsup.gif

i also noticed that all specimens of these modified snap belts are having alot of corrosion on the eylets & they look very salty in general...that means sea service by marines or navy personel

Believe it or not the military specifications for the BELT, INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT, M-1936 are still active [meaning they have never been cancelled or replaced by others]. The latest revision was issued on 27 November 1986 [MIL-B-1107G] which superceded the earlier 23 August 1972 [MIL-B-1107F] revisions. These latest revisions do indicate that the female snap fastner be present and that the buckle set and adjustment keepers be of the same type as the M-1956 ones. The specifications list Class 1 as olive drab canvas web and Class 2 as white canvas web. I know white M-1936 individual equipment belts are still produced for parade use. But the above 1967 dated one has to be one of the last olive drab contract belts...that is until someone turns up with a later one!

I will try and track down the pre-Vietnam revisions to try and determine when the change in hardware types were made.

Believe it or not the military specifications for the BELT, INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT, M-1936 are still active [meaning they have never been cancelled or replaced by others]. The latest revision was issued on 27 November 1986 [MIL-B-1107G] which superceded the earlier 23 August 1972 [MIL-B-1107F] revisions. These latest revisions do indicate that the female snap fastner be present and that the buckle set and adjustment keepers be of the same type as the M-1956 ones. The specifications list Class 1 as olive drab canvas web and Class 2 as white canvas web. I know white M-1936 individual equipment belts are still produced for parade use. But the above 1967 dated one has to be one of the last olive drab contract belts...that is until someone turns up with a later one!

I will try and track down the pre-Vietnam revisions to try and determine when the change in hardware types were made.

the M36 was a good design-i dont understand the reason why the M56..ALICE...and all later belts are both ends adjustable...the M56 is not a better belt...only the ball buckle you can say is more practical...the Greek army & many other european armies *ITALIAN SPANISH BELGIAN etc copied the good old M36 sometimes with british P37 buckles & not the M56 witch doesnt give any advandage & its more complicated for no reason